Business On United To LHR

Dec 4th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Business On United To LHR

what are the pros and cons of going in business class from IAD to LHR? is it really worth the extra money? what am i really gaining? special amenities or check in? never flown business over the pond and am pondering this situation.

I'm just kind of wary in doing it because I've heard so many bad things about United, whatever class it may be, on this site. And it's just an 8 hour flight from IAD-LHR in economy. The aircraft is a 767-300. I'm taking the day flight, dep 9:30 arrive 21:55, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I've done LAX-SYD, 14 hours, and it didn't kill me.

The return is LHR-BRU-IAD. Any more insights would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone ever stay at the Sheraton SkyLine close to Heathrow?

Thanks!

Dec 4th, 2004, 05:45 PM

There's only one con - it costs a lot. A business class fare to Europe can be up to $4,000; which is 5-8 times the cost of economy.

What you gain? Much wider seats with much more legroom, food that's actually tasty, use of an airport lounge before and after the flight, seperate check-in lines (I don't know if UA has seperate lines for its business/first/elite passengers for security at IAD), seperate boarding line and you get to board first, you get off the plane first, probably larger personal video screens, better headphones, amenity kits, priority luggage handling, 150% FF miles and EQM, etc...
Dec 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM

I just took United 767-300 to Buenos Aires and back and was glad that I didn't upgrade because the BC seats are not as nice as the ones on their 777. I had seat 16F in E+, as recommended by seatguru.com and had plenty of legroom (exit row).

I think that the BRU-IAD flight would be a 777 with the nicer seat.

When I checked in at Dulles for the non-stop flight to BA, I used a kiosk. It gave me the option of upgrading for $550 and it said this was a kiosk only offer. I thought about it a moment and decided not to upgrade, though I would have if the plane was a 777. There were no kiosks at EZE, and was not offered an upgrade price.

I assume if you do this kind of upgrade that you don't get bonus miles. The mileage for IAD-EZE is 5217 miles, so I think their upgrade price was $50 per 500 miles or fraction of 500 miles, like the domestic E-upgrades.
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Ive flown Heathrow to the US on numerous occasions with United Air. I find their economy seats to be amongst the most spacious and comfortable.
Dont know how it compares to business class, but it sure wasn't uncomfortable. The food is suprisingly good too.
Dec 24th, 2004, 12:05 AM

I flew roundtrip in business from San Francisco to Sydney on a 747 and it was great. I'm tall, and I think the trip would have been absolute hell in coach. I'm not sure how biz on a 747 compares to biz on a 767.