Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Recommend seats on Quantas or ANZ for LAX-Nadi route?

Nov 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm in the process of booking my honeymoon for next September; we'll be flying from LAX to Nadi on either Quantas or Air New Zealand. We were hoping to use miles to get business class tickets, but it doesn't look like that is going to work -- however, we're hoping that if we book early enough we'll be able to secure some of the roomier seats in coach. To anyone who has flown this route on one of these two airlines, what type of seat would you recommend we ask for? Just exit rows? Or are there other, better options?

Thanks!
Nov 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Hi there

I think you will find that if you are flying LAX to Nadi with Qantas you will be on an Air Pacific jet (Usually a 747 on this run) as Qantas code shares on this route. If you are then they have PTV's in all coach seats and a pitch of around 31". Service is pretty good, very relaxed. If you get off sober you will be doing well. The premium class is Tabua class, never travelled in it so I do not know how good it is.

Air NZ, you will be on a 767. 33" pitch no PTV's on these planes, very good service though. Once again if you are sober at the end of the flight good on you.

Both these flight are usually scheduled for a night run so you will (hopefully) be aspleep for most of it.

You can prebook/select seats on Air NZ's site though I am not sure if ext rows are open for prebooking due to the need to assess pax ability to be able to assist in event of emeergencies. Therefore these seats may not go until check in. I could be wrong however. Unfortunately the premium economy seat 40" pitch is not available on Air NZ's 767's only their 777's and 747's.

If you go to Fiji via Akl you will be able to book the premium economy seat as by September next year it should be on all planes on that direct route (747's). Bear in mind though that there is a big demand for these seats so getting one with airmiles may be tricky. (Unless of course you are a memeber of Air NZ's frequent flyer programme which entitles you to buy any seat on the plane so long as it is available.)

To be honest, since you will be asleep I would go economy on either airline as they are both pretty good.

Hope some of this helps
Nov 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Nov 8th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Missrocco: Just wondering why you aren't able to obtain Business Class tickets? Did you wait too long to book? Did you have enough points to "purchase" the entire ticket or were you going to purchase an economy ticket and upgrade that ticket to BC? I am about to attempt to use miles to obtain 2 business class tickets to Sydney and just wondered what obstacles you encountered.

I haven't been able to find any online and have to call an agent. But I am not holding my breath. It seems harder and harder to redeem miles for business class tickets these days!
Nov 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

hi there,

the problem is that it turns out we dont have enough miles for business class to Fiji (something like 120,000 per person), and the airline won't let us upgrade using miles on AirNZ, which is a partner airline. The only other option was to use the companion ticket program through Amex platinum (buy one business class or first class and get one free), but i'm really having a hard time justifying the $4k for one ticket (vs. less than $2k for TWO full fare coach tix).
Nov 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM

There are some side rows in the far rear of some planes that have only 2 seats. They do not have extra legroom, but you and your new spouse wouldn't have to share your row with a random person.
I would prefer an exit row to these seats, but in case those aren't available you have another option.
Nov 9th, 2005, 06:28 AM

We are in the first row of 2 seats at the back of a 747. While it is no fun being at the back, these seats are not the very last so not too near the restrooms or galley, but give us a spot for the 2 of us without having to crawl around anyone else. Also, have read that sometimes the middle rows back there are empty and can be used for sleeping, if so. We know we are last off the plane and thus through Customs, but daughter and boyfriend are meeting us in Sydney nearly an hour after our arrival, so should work fine.
Nov 25th, 2005, 06:46 AM

If you've never visited it, www.seatguru.com is a great website to find which seats are best on a variety of planes. Helped us a great deal for our recent LAX-Sydney trip!