Connecting at JFK and Weather

Nov 30th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Connecting at JFK and Weather

My family and I will be traveling home to Orlando via JFK from Tokyo. We will be flying Japan Airlines arriving at 5:05PM on December 15. We are trying to make a connecting flight on jetBlue departing at 7:05PM. Would we be able to make it? I know that JAL is in Terminal 1 and jetBlue is in Terminal 6.

In regards to weather, what is the weather like in early January at JFK? How does it affect arrivals and departures? I'm trying to decide if I should arrive a day early for our return trip to Japan or should I try and arrive at 8:50AM connecting to a 12:15PM flight to NRT.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guy
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM

There are several issues here, some favorable to you, some not...

1. Weather - it's definitely impossible to forecast what it'll be in Jan. It could be sunny and dry, and no delays whatsoever; or the airport could be under a feet of snow.

Also, there's almost certain a strong tailwind over the N. Pacific at this time of the year, so your plane may arrive early if it leaves NRT on time.

2. Immigration and customs. I guess you are US citizens, so there shouldn't be any long lines at JFK for citizens.

3. Transfer. Going between terminals at JFK is very easy now with the AirTrain. Just jump onto the free one that goes clockwise among the terminals. The train runs very frequently and it takes little time.

4. Seperate tickets. This is very important since I believe you are on two seperate tickets on JAL and Jetblue. If the first flight is late and you miss your connection, you are totally on your own. This is especially for your Orlando-Tokyo trip, as you will have to buy a new JFK-NRT ticket if you can't to JFK in time.

If you haven't bought your tickets yet, consider buying the whole trip on one ticket. It may cost a little more, but you're "protected" if the first flight is late, for whatever reason.
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan, thanks for the advice. I see that you post when others ask info and I value your tips. Looking forward to going home on leave to take the babies to see grandma and grandpa.
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Just to update everyone on our arrival into JFK on Dec 15:

Our JAL flight landed 20 minutes late (5:25PM).
Taxi to the gate: 7 minutes
Getting off plane: 2 minutes
-flight attendent made announcement that we needed to get off the plane quick as we may not make our connection
Walk to Immigration: 4 minutes
Wait for Immigration: 3 minutes
Processing Immigration: 2 minutes
Wait for bags: 10 minutes
-now thinking why we were rushing to get through Immigration.
Wait for Customs: 5 minutes
Trying to get to Terminal 6 from Terminal 1: 20 minutes
-wasn't too hard to navigate the AirTrain.
Self Check-In jetBlue: 3 minutes
Waiting to check in bags: 10 minutes
-for me, it was took too long to check in the bags

By the time the bags were checked in, my watch showed 6:35 PM.

When trying to get through Security, that was a nightmare, unluckily for us we talked to airline staff pushing an elderly woman through to Security. He said to follow him and then we were taken to the front of the line. After the security screener let a few more people through, he pointed us to a short line. At that point(6:40PM), we slowed down. I was getting nervous as our tickets showed boarding time starting 6:35PM. I asked about moving ahead and an security screener said not to worry as jetBlue would make announcements and set an agent to look for us if we haven't boarded. So we slowly moved through the line and then after passing the detectors, we (me, wife, and 2 young kids) were individually searched and the bags thoroughly searched too. I was feeling irritated about the delay, but understand that it is the screeners job to be thorough. I do have to commend them that they were professional and explained everything they did. So, after we collected our bags, the stroller and kids, we ran to our gate at the departure time of 7:05 PM. We got to the gate and the departure time was changed to 7:15PM and they hadn't boarded yet. I was a little upset yet relieved we made it. Got to Orlando and my parents are enjoying their time with the grandkids.

Happy Holidays to All!!
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:12 AM

Thanks for the update. I still think that's way too much of a risk to take. Glad you made it to Orlando okay.