Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Fly American Airlines, America West, or Continental from San Diego to Costa Rica in June 2005? Any tips on which is better?

Fly American Airlines, America West, or Continental from San Diego to Costa Rica in June 2005? Any tips on which is better?

Dec 29th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

I'm nervous about booking airlines tickets on-line (I've never booked them myself before. I usually use a AAA travel agent but the on-line fares look good right now.)

Anybody have any experiences with any of these airlines, especially to Costa Rica? Nowadays it seems like you have to hold your breath after you buy airline tickets! I wish I knew which airline is more reliable, and can provide a reasonably comfortable trip...Or should I say which airline provides the least uncomfortable trip?
Dec 29th, 2004, 03:41 AM

Hi Melissa,

I travel frequently and have booked many flights online with no problems. In fact, that's what the airlines want passengers to do nowadays. It helps them save money.

You can also compare all the fares on travel web sites like Travelocity and Expedia as well as each individual airline's web site.

You may want to use American because they are on of the largest carriers in Latin America. Also, of the major legacy carriers, there are better off financially than most.

I used American's web site to book a trip to the Dominican Republic in September.

I hope that helps. Enjoy Costa RicaGood Luck.

Australiabound
Dec 29th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Of the 3 choices - My first choice would be American, second choice would be Continental, and only if there were no other options would I fly America West. I've flown them 3 times - and each time I had issues with flight cancellations or delays. Could have been just my bad luck .....
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Melissa -
Continental would be my first choice - they are the airline with the most destinations in Latin America, offer good service, are more stable financially than the others. America West, as others noted, is a last resort. Even if they ofer a slightly lower fare, one must balance that against their abysmal service and performance record.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:32 AM

It kind of depends on how you define "Latin America". AA is the strongest US carrier to South America, while Continental flies to every tiny village in Mexico where they can land a regional jet(or so it seems). I don't know who has the best flights in your case to Costa Rica. Both DFW and IAH are okay airports to change planes; but neither is the best.

AA still has "More Room Throughout Coach" on some of their planes, so you may get more legroom than on CO. CO still gives out food on domestic flights, while AA is starting to charge for them.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM

My vote is for America West. I've always had wonderful service and generally on-time arrivals. I fly them whenever I can.