Search

connecting at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connecting at DFW

I haven't connected at DFW for a number of years. My 3 friends and I are finalizing a trip to London for July, and the cheapest package on expedia has us flying from Orlando to DFW to Gatwick. It is $1707 for airfare and 9 nights of hotel.

The connection time at DFW is a 6:20 arrival and 7:05 departure--less than an hour. Likewise, on the return trip there is a 6:15 arrival back at DFW, and a 7:40 departure to Orlando.

Is this at all do-able without any major complications? I dislike having less than 2 hours between connections--especially when flying international.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I would be concerned, especially because DFW has several terminals. The trains in between are pretty efficient, but if Orlando flight is at all late, could be an isse.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

After looking at some of the other packages--and wanting this to be as easy as possible connection wise--we may opt for going to CLT on US Airways. It was a little more, but there is definitely a two hour connection time.

From what I understand, CLT is much better than PHL.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM

First, are your tickets all on one airline? If so, the "new" trains at DFW are pretty quick if you have to change terminals. I wouldn't worry about the outgoing times as much as return - 1.5 hrs is a little close for customs, connections, etc but is doable if the flight to DFW is on time. Can you not get flights with more connection time?

Are you choosing your packages and flights based upon the airline and connections? I assume your flights through DFW are on AA. I'd certainly pick AA over US any day and then try and work on connections you're more confortable with (if you can). And yes, CLT is better than PHL IMO.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of the different options available. More than anything else, we want to get to London and back with few problems. My sister flies US all the time--through PHL no less--and has not had any problems. She is pushing for US through CLT as she wants the miles.

I would prefer AA, but not if there will not be enough time to connect. Unfortunately, Expedia did not have an earlier departure available from MCO. But yes, all of the flights would be AA.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM

FWIW - AA has almost hourly flights from MCO to DFW and is showing a lot of availability for next July. Have you tried any other sources, like Travelocity, etc?
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Travelocity, alas, does not have the same hotel selection as Expedia. We would have to add another $200 to our tour package.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
P_M

If all goes on schedule you will make it, but I would never book such a short connection before an international flight. I would try to get on an earlier flight. If you cannot book that, then just show up in time to take an earlier flight and ask for standby.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Besides P-M's good suggestion, you may also be able to change to an earlier flight that day and get confirmed seats. Most airlines will let you call a certain number of hours (eg, CO is 3 hrs) before your scheduled departure and allow you to change and confirm an earlier flight (assuming there's room) for a fee of about $25 or so. No stand-by issue. Not sure AA's policy, but it might be worth checking.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:30 AM

AA's confirmed standby is 12 hours, however it does not apply to international connections.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM

Try going to www.doublediamonddestinations.com, I think they can beat espedia with flight and hotel, and possible better flight times. Have a great time in London.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 04:31 AM

I HATE connecting at DFW. The "new" trains are NOT that efficient....Sorry! They are still slow and the distances are just not close. This airport was BADLY designed for connecting. Apparently the designers thought EVERYONE would be staying in the Dallas area!!!

It can take an HOUR to connect in the AA terminal and you have to come from the Internation terminal and on the way home clear customs and immigration. (Welcome Home it will take forever!!!)

I would not book an hour connection for internation in DFW, an hour is the minimum on some airlines for domestic in that airport!
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Take a deep breath <b>CarolA</b>,

The OP is talking about dom-int connection not the other way around. An hour is more than enough. 1/2 hour is very much doable, 3/4 hour is realistic, an hour is a walk in the park.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Minimum connection times for DFW:

DFW DD- .40( 6) <b>DI- .40</b>( 7) ID-1.10(7a) II-1.00
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM

All international departures at DFW go from Terminal D. If you are in arrive at another terminal, do not leave the secured area! Find the nearest Terminal Link train station and the longest a train will take to get you to terminal D (that would be from terminal A) will be 5 minutes. Once you get off the plane, you should be able to make the connection within 30 minutes.

That said, AA 78 begins boarding at 6:20, the time of your projected arrival. Even if you have your boarding passes, your seats are in jeopardy if you don't board by 6:55.

I would find this kind of connection not worth the stomach lining I would lose during the flight from Orlando.

On the return flight, it is likely that LGW will have been cleared of the one carry-on rule by July. Nonetheless, there is a good 5 minute walk from the gate to immigration, perhaps a 20 minute wait there, and then you must go through customs. No matter how long it takes at immigration, you would still have to wait for any checked luggage. Then, you would have to clear security again, to take your next flight, or before you could use the high speed rail link between terminals if you have to change terminals. I think that, as a practical matter, there is no way you could make your return connection.

It is my recollection that one or more of the lower cost European airlines, which do not appear on Expedia, have flights from MCO and FLL to the UK. Perhaps it would be worth checking those out.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM

AAFrequentFlyer, OP had TWO flights listed.

Arrival back in DFW from Gatwick 6:15 Departure to MCO 7:40

NOT ENOUGH TIME!

I don't really care what the &quot;legal&quot; connection is. You have to get off the plane, deal with customs, deal with immigration (welcome home you will be harrassed), recheck luggage etc.

Having missed more then my fare share of flights on AA out of DFW because of AA's &quot;optimistic&quot; &quot;legal connection&quot; times I have learned...