Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

AA to cut 13% of overseas flights and 2% domestic - which?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Cassandra

American announced a 13% cut in international flights and 2% in domestic flights but no specifics re:which ones. Anyone receive any notice of cancellation of their flights? Are the cuts similar between Atlantic and Pacific (ie. SARS?) routes or more one or the other? Marginal cities or cutting numbers of flights from major cities?<BR><BR>AAFreqFlyer -- you seem to have an inside track -- any info?

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Cassandra

I just realized Pacific flights are codeshares, so that has to mean heavier cuts in European and LatAm flights.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassandra,<BR>This is all I have right now. The cuts seemed to be for the month of May only, possibly carried over to the following months if the demand does not pick up.<BR>Anyway, here it is:<BR><BR>FORT WORTH, Texas � American Airlines will maintain service to its network of more than 250 cities in May, while reducing selected flights in international and domestic markets.<BR><BR>&quot;These limited adjustments primarily affect international flying and a small number of domestic flights, and are in line with reductions we�re seeing throughout the industry due to the war in Iraq and economic conditions,&quot; said Henry Joyner, senior vice president - Planning for the airline.<BR><BR>American will fly about 2 percent fewer domestic flights than planned in May. International flying will be about 13 percent lower than planned.<BR><BR>American will continue to serve every city in its network with a wide variety of flights, although the airline will delay launch of its planned Los Angeles to Tokyo service until spring of 2004 when it anticipates some strengthening of the marketplace.<BR><BR>If you are looking at a specific flight, download a timetable from AA.com or let me know and I will try to find out for you.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Cassandra

Thanks, AAFF. I found the same wire story, hence my query. Holding seats in May RDU-DFW-Vancouver-SEA-RDU, and so far the reservations are unchanged (acc/to my check of my itineraries on website), but planes are not at all full, which makes me nervous. Also have possibility of travel to LGW in late summer, so watching that (not set yet, so no ticket).<BR><BR>I don't know at what point they will announce the specific routes affected but thought I might deduce it if anyone had actually been notified about an itinerary change (assuming AA would do that.... UA is very bad at that, less experience w/changes at AA). Guess we just wait and see.......

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:44 AM

The RDU-LGW route is a very profitable route for AA. They are basically running this one for the huge pharmaceutical corporation with offices in your area and London. I would say that this route is safe. <BR>I also heard that this particular flight has one of the best FAs team, as they are very happy to be based out of RDU and have that flight. <BR>As far as the other reservation, why don't you call AA and ask. <BR>If I hear anything else, I will post here.<BR>Good Luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:13 AM

Any guesses on the FRA-ORD route. Family members have that booked for return in May. Flight does still exist on the AA schedule, but is not nearly full.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:27 PM

I was booked to fly ord - fra on Tuesday 05/13/03 and found that Flight 84 had been cancelled on Tuesdays so I was rescheduled on Monday 05/12/03. My return trip on Monday 05/26/03 and a friend's on Wednesday 06/04/03 seem to be OK.<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Cassandra

Thanks again, AAFF, for your info. Glad to hear positive things about AA #173-174 routes, but RTP has suffered lots of cut-backs, including in pharmaceutical corps., so have been concerned a bit. I'll certainly agree it's a great crew, every time.<BR><BR>Interesting, haxter -- have Chicagah friends on same route for June, will alert them.

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 12:02 PM

I received notification that my Philadelphia-Boston-Paris flight for May has been cancelled. <BR><BR>We have been re-routed through O'Hare. The thought of flying two hours west to Chicago just to turn around and fly back east to get to Paris is really depressing.<BR><BR>I was going to try calling US Airways and Air France (both of which offer direct flights from PHL) and see if there was any way they would honor my ticket, even if I had to pay an additional fee.<BR><BR>Has anyone ever done anything like this and succeeded?<BR><BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 12:15 PM

I have never heard of that, but who knows? If something like that is possible, will you be so kind and post here.<BR>Just a suggestion, but if you do have to fly through ORD, why don't you sign up for AA Gold Challange. First, you need to get a AAdvantage account, easy and free on AA.com. Just before the trip call AA Customer Service and ask to be signed up for the Gold Challange. What you need to do is to fly 10000 miles within 3 months. This trip alone will give you around 9600 miles. Another short hop and you will get a Gold Elite status with AA, which opens up doors to better treatment and seat selection for the duration of your status. You also get 25% extra miles on any flight taken with AA or most of it's partners. As long as you get the Gold Status after July 1st, your status will be good till 2/95. So if you decide to do it, make sure the short hop(or whatever the second AA flght may be) is after July 1st.<BR>More info and advice here:<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/index2.html<BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:47 PM

I would like to clarify the information about the AA gold challenge. You have to earn 5000 Q-points. You get 1/2 q-point for every mile flown in anything less than full-fare coach. However, you get a minimum of 500 Q points for each flight. (Now, I presuming that you are going through Chicago to and from Paris. From Philadelphia to Chicago = 500 Q points; From Chicago to CDG and return = 4153 points; from Chicago to Philadelphia = 500 Q-points. In order to get the gold challenge to count through February 2005, you have to begin the challenge on or after June 16, so that won't work for you.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:08 AM

JoeE,<BR>You are right, she would complete the challenge with this one trip, but I don't understand why you're saying it would not work for her. She would still have Gold status till 2/04. As I said, if she has no choice but to do that trip, she might as well get something out of it.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to getting gold through February 2005 wouldn't work, but it will work through February 2004.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Looks like the saga of my cancelled and then inconveniently rerouted flight to Paris has a happy ending (for us, at least).<BR> <BR><BR>I had purchased the tickets through DestinationEurope. Technically, they were nonrefundable. But thanks to the info I learned here at Fodor's, I politely and firmly stood my ground and told them that this was an unacceptable schedule change and I wanted a refund. I was passed to a supervisor, who--after a little back-and-forth--proposed cancelling the American flight and rebooking me on British Air, with a connection at Heathrow. The price was lower than my original ticket and the stopover was easier to take psychologically, but the later departure (and hence arrival) time meant we'd lose 1/2 a day in Paris. The supervisor put the BA tickets on hold for me for 24 hours.<BR><BR>To my surprise, my husband refused to fly through Heathrow. He couldn't really explain it, just said he had a bad vibe. Now, since I'm the nervous flyer and he's usually my rock, I didn't like the idea of him being nervous. But I still didn't want to settle for a 14-hour trip.<BR><BR>I called USAirways. They had direct flights available for $45 less than I had paid for the consolidator tickets. So I reserved the USAirways seats, cancelled the American, and &quot;unheld&quot; the BA. Whew.<BR><BR>I am so grateful to those of you who educated me about what my rights were in this situation and advised me to hold my ground and get the outcome I wanted!<BR><BR>Now let's pray that USAirways doesn't make any drastic schedule changes over the next month. . . <BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR> <BR><BR>
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:28 AM

My flight from NYC to Las Vegas the outbound got switched around to different flights and the return flight got cancelled outright and they had my flying back via a different city.
Also, American did not call to tell me these changes. I was calling to confirm that my upgrade went through and at this point I was told of the change in my travel plans.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:21 PM

One little bit of experience:

I bought tickets on Priceline in early February for LAX-CDG (about $450 each inclusive). Since then, and sdtarting before the war, I've received three emails from Priceline saying, &quot;Your carrier has made changes to your itinerary. Please click here to see...&quot;

Our outbound flight, changing in JFK, hasn't changed. Coming home, though, we originally were to change in Boston. Next it was DFW. Next it was ORD. Then it was changed to another return --still through OHare-- but a half hour earlier. All changes were within an hour of the original flight so I didn't really care or worry. The news story AAFreqFlyer posted helps to explain things...
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:22 PM

Sorry. This was on American.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:23 PM

Sorry again; it's late. The flights are in mid-late May, if you care
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM

AA conveniently cancelled the non-stop flight from Boston to Provo, T&amp;C hours after we made the final payment on our vacation package on Friday. We have been routed Logan/Miami/Provo and the same back. Oddly enough this morning when I checked AA website, the flight our TA told us we would be on wasn't there (it was there Friday when I looked it up). I think I'm going to cancel tomorrow and book something else(thankfully we purchased cancel for any reason trip insurance). I'm not going to have our vacation held hostage by what appears to be AA's fickle flight scheduling of late.