Help an inexperienced traveler!

Old Nov 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help an inexperienced traveler!

Okay, I recently booked a trip from boston, ma to edmonton, AB(Canada)

I booked everything through the american airlines sites cause i wanted it all on one ticket

My flight has stops in Chicago and Phoenix. Now I saw that I'm supposed to switch from american airlines to us airways in phoenix. They aren't even affiliates, why was I booked on another airline?!

Does that mean I have to get to Phoenix, claim my bag, switch terminals, recheck my bag and get through security in 1.5 hours? That's absurd! And all on american airlines for suggesting another carrier.

most importantly, is american airlines responsible for putting me on another flight if I miss that connection?

I did NOT book separately. AA suggested this route and I accepted, assuming it was all flights with AA/their affiliates.

Ughhhhhh
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Relax, since you are on one ticket if you do miss your connection AA will rebook you on the next available flight.

Did I read this correctly, BOS to ORD to PHX to YEG, is that the routing of your ticket? Or, is it BOS-ORD-YEG, YEG - PHX-BOS. I hope it's the later.

As for baggage, I can't answer your question, hopefully someone else will know the answer.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Bags will be checked through.

Default on aa.com is only to display AA and American Eagle and American Connection flights. I just tried a mock booking for BOS-YEG, and all results have BOS-xxx-SEA on AA, and then SEA-YEG on a AA codeshare on Horizon.

However, aa.com does allow two other search options. One is AA/Eagle/Connection plus oneworld airlines. Second is "All Carriers". My guess is that the OP has somehow clicked on that option.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

BOS to ORD to PHX to YEG is the correct order of the flights.

Which is why I'm now concerned. One delay and I may be seriously messed up. I have 2 hours in ORD and it's AA to AA flights so I'm not worried. It's the PHX to YEG connection, which is 1.5 hours and on a different carrier which has me concerned.

My bags being checked through is a HUGE relief though
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:35 AM

1.5 hours is plenty, but you need to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 4 by shuttle bus and reclear security there.

You may want to call AA and see if they'll allow rebooking without a heavy fee.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM

why do people post here AFTER they have booked a problem ITN???
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 01:24 AM

Mztery, they post because they don't KNOW if it a problem itinerary. And if it is a problem, when folks say "aww, don't worry, it isn't that bad" they get some kind of reasurrance. Folks here have said the time between flights is plenty and have said his bags should be checked through.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM

When you book online the system tells you that the ticket includes flights on another carrier. . So... AA did tell the OP. He/she just failed to notice and is now blaming AA. I booked DL ticket recently that included a segment on AA. It was pretty clear!

Now comes the fun part. I have no idea why a flight from Boston to Edmonton takes this fun tour, but if it's a mile run.. The USAir segment does not get AA miles.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Is it possible for you to cancel this?
If so cancel it & then go to www.aircanada.com & book Boston/Edmonton. Much easier. And the fares are pretty good too. You wld go via Toronto.