checking luggage

Dec 4th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

checking luggage

Hubby and I are arguing about checking luggage. I think it would be difficult for either of us to lift a suitcase (even a light one filled with clothes) in an overhead bin. He says the luggage will be lost if we check it through and take to long to get. Help! Need an answer.
Oh yes we are over 70.
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Tell your husband you'll not lift the bags into the overhead bins, and if he breaks his bones or hurt his back doing it, he's on his own and you'll not take care of him. And just to be fair, tell him that he can blame you if you guys have lose your luggage.

And FYI, my dad is 69 and my mom is 61, both in good health. They usually do not check their 20" rollers. But they also are Elites with Continental and can pre-board the plane to secure overhead bin space.
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the good advice. I never thought of the fact he could hurt his back...
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM

loisco, I agree with rkkwan a 100%. Make your trip as easy as possible! In your carryone you can put one change of underwear and perhaps one top. Each of you can bring on one lightweight carryone which should give you everything you need. Your luggagage being lost is not something that is apt to happen. A back strain is certainly more of a risk and believe me you do not want that to happen while traveling (it did happen to my husband once).

Safe and happy trip!
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Good advice!! I think you all have helped me in my argument. I love this forum.
Dec 5th, 2004, 03:49 AM

Permanently lost luggage is extremely rare - although if it does happen it can be incredibly annoying. While waiting at luggage belt after flight can be take a while (15-20 minutes), it is still better than hauling over-filled bag into bin.

My rule for travel for me (I am short and have difficulty lifting heavy things) - is that if I can not lift it easily, I should check it. No such thing as a light suitcase filled with clothes - unless it is the size of a backpack.
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Especially with post 9/11 security concerns, I think luggage handling & accountablility has never been better. As pointed out, actualy LOSS of luggage is very rare. Each of the few times my luggage went places that I didn't, the airline located it and got it back to me within hours. If your luggage was misdirected the airline will probably ask where you need it delivered to; tell them if they don't.

Other than if I'm on a real short connect time, I always check my bags and carry nothing onboard bigger than a newspaper. I will cary pc/tapes, etc., if it's a business trip but check all else.
Dec 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Even if you check your luggage, you should still travel with as little as you can. Unless you're travelling to places with drastically different seasons (e.g. you need to pack for the beach and winter - and not just because it's winter at your point of departure) or you're only going to one location, each of you should limit yourself to a carry-on or almost carry-on size bag (no more than 22"), which you will check, and a medium-sized daypack or shoulder bag/messenger bag. After hauling 24" suitcases up and down train steps, subway steps, through airports etc, I finally learned my lesson. Just because it has wheels, doesn't mean you're not going to have to pick it up at some point.
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:32 AM

And tell your hubby that the Flight Attendants are not required to help him lift the suitcase overhead and lots of his fellow passengers won't help either. (I was cursed at just this week by a Grandmother when I would not put her bag overhead. She then got of the plane and waited for me at the exit to continue the tirade all the way to baggage claim where I found security who told her to leave me alone or else.)
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Sunnyboy

This is an interesting thread. Why would anyone expect a stranger to help them lift their carry-on luggage? I'm very close to being a senior citizen and if my bag is too heavy for me to lift I figure it is too heavy for others. The solution is simple, leave the heavy stuff at home or check your bags. That said, I've been known to assist others but not so much lately. Not because I'm mean spirited but because for some reason the bags seem to be getting heavier as I get older.

Dec 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I witnessed a woman saying something nasty to a young man who wouldn't lift her suitcase. So he replied he's going home after having a surgery. Was that woman embarassed!!
Dec 12th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Pappy Maverick says:

1. Never draw to an inside straight.
2. Keep your options open.
3. Don't own more than you can carry on a dead run (or lift into the overhead baggage bin).
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:47 PM

After my recent travel experience with Bahamasair and USair - I definitely would not check luggage. If for any reason you have to switch flights then you also have to find you baggage and get it aboard on your new flight. I'm on crutches and have always found the stewards and stewardesses extremely helpful. Happy traveling.