Another Nervous US Air Ticket Holder

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I have tickets for a US Air flight from DC-National to Orlando in 3 weeks - and I am nervous.

For the sake of discussion - lets say US Air shuts down in 2 weeks. Here are my questions
a) What should I do at that time to ensure that me and my family get down to Orlando on the planned day.
b) Is there anything I can do now to prepare for this possibility.

We have hotel reservations in the park at Disney. Hence - we really don't have any flexibility on the dates. We have two small children - so any solution that involves stand-by travel is a no-go.

Thanks
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Holding US Airways tickets at shutdown, a recently-extended law gives you the following option:

Standby tickets on another airline serving the same route, rebooking fee limited to $25 each way.

And that's it. United and AirTran would be the options for that route. Out of BWI, Southwest is a possibility, but that isn't covered by this law.

Maybe someone else would have better ideas, but that's my understanding of your situation under current law.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Others here have posted that there is some renewed law that says other airlines must accept tickets on STANDBY basis for small fee - obviously, with kids that will not help you.

If you made reservations recently and USAir disappears, your credit card company will likely help you out so you don't get stuck for the money (if it is within 60 days) - but that also does not get you to Florida.

If it were me, I would just sit tight. Since mid-January is not a school vacation time, you should be able to find another flight from DC area to Orlando area on another airline, even at last minute if necessary. It might not be ideal - but with 3 airports to choose from in DC area and option of flying into Orlando or even Tampa and driving, you should be able to get to your Disney vacation.

If misery loves company, I am sitting here wondering what "job action" might happen over New Years weekend when my son flies back to college on USAir and whether or not my daughter and I will be able to fly to Ft. Lauderdale in February to see my brother. (Not to mention the 100,000 FF miles we are holding and will likely never use).
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:34 PM

I believe Gail is correct. Unfortunately your trip with USAir is more then likely going to be very difficult. Do not check any baggage; it
will be lost. Arrive early enough to find another servie who will honor the USAir ticket. Have USAir reissue you another ticket.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:02 AM

On my way to drop son at airport for trip Boston-Charlotte-Savannah on USAir. Hope airline is still flying by 4 PM today and they do not lose his checked luggage (he has to check it - has been home from college for 6 weeks and therefore has lots of stuff).