Check bags through with Egypt Air?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got our tickets IAD - FCO - CAI, ret CAI - MUC - IAD for our trip this winter. For a reason that I didn't entirely understand, something to do with Egypt Air not participating or being a member in a program, we had to get paper tickets. Will I be OK or will it even be possible to check the bags through? (I will check with them, also, but you all will give me better advice, I know). We have a 6 hour layover at FCO which we are looking forward to, will try to get out and see the area, maybe go into Rome, so we don't want to deal with the bags.

Also, anyone with any recent experience with Egypt Air? Do they still allow smoking in the back of the planes?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM
J62

What airline are you flying across the Atlantic?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

that info would have helped - we are UA across the Atlantic, then MS FCO - CAI and MS CAI - MUC on the return, and UA MUC - IAD.
also, if I understand correctly, ticket class is VH - how can I find out what the different ticket classes are?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM
J62

I can't give a definitive answer but here's my guess.

Egyptair is a long time / major carrier, not a new/low cost/startup. They have codeshare agreements with Lufthansa, which means they 'play' well on the international airline stage & very likely participate in interline baggage agreements. UA and LH are Star Alliance partners (for whatever that means). It's not clear if UA and MS have any close agreement (codeshare), but that is not required to transfer bags at FCO.

It is UA who will check you in at IAD, so they will have to tell you about through checkin. Unfortunately telephohe helpdesks are often not well informed on these details. It is the checkin agents at IAD who will do this for you.

I've through checked bags on unrelated airlines several times without issue. It may require you to checkin with MS at FCO so they can 'retrieve' your bags from UA (both electronically and physically)

I'm willing to bet my $1 that you will be able to tag your bags through to CAI.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks! we shall see at check in.