Domestic Airlines Baggage allovance

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Domestic Airlines Baggage allovance

I noticed that Qantas, Virgin and air New Zealand stipulates luggage size for domestic economy travel as one suitcase not exceeding 54 inches in total dimension. I checked our luggage and it measures 62 inches. This meets the Air Canada restrictions So that we can get our luggage to Sydney. We will be taking a number of domestic flights in Australia and will be flying from Brisbane to Auckland NZ and return from Wllington.

How fussy are the above airlines with luggage size exceeding slightly the 54 inch limit. Will they take our luggage without. We are OK with the weight limits. Should we chance it, or do we need to buy new luggage?

Comments will be greatfully appreciated,

Z
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Dear Z, I assume the extra 8 inches of your bag is all around - calculated in upright length ,depth and width ? Or is it just upright length ? I travel regularly on domestic flights in Australia and the airlines are increasingly strict in their enforcement of the rules regarding both checked and carry on baggage in terms of size and weight but particularly the latter. You may be lucky and have no problem but as I understand it the size restrictions are based on OHS requirements for staff/ baggage handlers . There is seldom anything worse than problems at check - in especially if the problem is a refusal to accept your bag.If the weight is ok and the case does not look like the Trojan Horse you might slip through .It is a calculated risk .
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the extra 8 inches is all the way around. I noticed that Air New Zealand does take luggage up to 62 inches all the way around. Qantas and Virgin do specify 54 inches. In 2004 we travelled on Qantas and Virgin flights in Australia and NZ with 62 inch luggage with no problems. I am not sure what the luggage regulations were in 2004 but no one challenged us. With all the turmoil and changes in airline travel I was wondering if currently the airlines will likely overlook the extra 8 inches. Any experience out there?

Z

Z
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:48 PM

I am travelling from the US on Qantas and I asked my domestic carrier (American Airlines) what the regulations were and then I checked with Qantas to confirm.

Check the website http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked. You can also see the rules for carry-on baggage as well.

The rules as explained there and then by a Qantas customer service rep was that as you are flying on an international ticket, the international rules apply...which is 2 checked pieces in business or economy. Total dimensions of each piece not to exceed 62 in. or 70 lbs. However if you take a second bag the total dimension of BOTH bags cannot exceed 106 in. Weight of the second bag can be up to 70 lbs.

Check the website if you have questions. I am travelling in less than 2 weeks. I was told that as long as I can show I am travelling on an international ticket, the international rules supercede the domestic rules.

Hope this helps....it can really get confusing till you sort it all out. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestion itcyfeet5 this may be my answer. I did check the Qantas Web site and you are right about the international ticket. One more technicality which is not clear from the Qantas Web site. Does my International ticket have to be with the same airline as the domestic travel, that is, must I travel on International ticket with Qantas to get the baggage allowance on Qantas domestic flights)? For example I plan to travel from Canada to Sydney on Air Canada and book domestic flights with Qantas or Virgin Airlines.

Thanks again,

Z
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Can't help you there. I am flying to Sydney from LA on Qantas. You have to check with Air Canada. Good luck.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM

I'm in the same predicament as Z. Flying from SFO to LAX on AA, a codeshare with Qantas. Then LAX nonstop to MEL on Qantas. Our internal flights are with Virgin Blue. I don't know if we can travel under international rules or not, but I sure hope so! Guess I need to contact VB. Will let you know the reply.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM

The rules are enforced somewhat capriciously, I think. We have been allowed to slither through)on VB at least) with up to six pounds overweight, yet a woman in front of the line was forced to unpack a large suitcase in view of everyone and remove some of her weighty items to her handbag. The simplest solution is just to hit the rules straight on. If that is impossible, I 1)smile, 2)say good morning to the agent in my much practised but newly acquired eastern Canadian accent, 3)make every effort to behave in a calm, rational, non-arrogant American manner. I am not kidding about this - good behavior with gate agents can make all the difference!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Aak! In addition to planning, packing, readying the house for the sitter, etc. etc., I have to learn a new language too?

OandH, could you please give me a few eastern Canadian phrases phonetically?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM

I can tell you this much---we traveled last November from the US on United and then two domestic flights over there on VB and Qantas. Both of our soft-sided bags measured around 61" if you measured the stiff frame. (The bags bulged out even more as the trip wore on!) the allowance was supposed to be 54 inches on both the domestic flights but no one gave them a second glance.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Oliverandharry give good advice--my husband is the epitome of friendly charm (to everyone, not just gate agents!) and airline people, being people, respond accordingly. We have gotten upgraded, better seats, good advice, etc. all because of treating people fairly and with a smile. Of course, we have gotten our share of bad seats, too, but it never hurts to be charming.
Sally in Seattle
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. We will most likely go with the 62 inch luggage, be pleasant, smile and hope for the best. We are going to Australia and NZ for 2 months and regulation 54 Inch luggage will not do, unless we want to do laundry every week. The domestic max of 54 inches is ridiculous. I think that domestic airlines should change their regulation on luggage, and at least match the international size specification for the international travellers. It would simplify international and domestic travel.

Thanks again,

Zfrom Winnipeg
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:45 AM

Here's the reply from Cassie, Guest Transaction Suport Agent at VB: First she reiterates the VB carry-on policy available on the web. Then she states, "Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee a waiver for excess baggage. I can only suggest that upon check- in, you explain your situation to the
check-in staff and perhaps they can assist in some way.

I'm sorry I could not assist your further and I wish you a safe journey.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance."

So guess I need to brush up on a Canadian accent, eh?
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for checking Betsy, I am not surprised by the reply you got from VB. My interpretation is that they do not want to make committments for exceptions other wise the exception will become the norm that will be expected by all. I would guess that the comment ".. perhaps they can assist in some way " is encouraging. As I said, we will be going with slightly oversize but within weight limits luggage.

Z from Winnipeg
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM

I'm formulating another email to Cassie, my new best friend at VB. I'm a little confused by the wording on the VB website re carry-on baggage.

Here's what's posted on the site: "Guests occupying a seat may take baggage weighing up to 7kgs perperson onto the aircraft. The guest's allowance is restricted to the following:

1 piece not exceeding certain dimensions (that I'll not repeat here).

In addition, the guest may carry 1 suit pack or garment bag (again I'm not repeating the dimensions) or another small bag or briefcase (my bold).

The following items may be carried in addition to those above:

Laptop computer, a handbag, pocketbook or purse

Overcoat wrap or blanket

Small camera"

Plus a couple of other items are listed. My question is whether these additional items, such as "another small bag or briefcase, laptop computer, camera, etc. are included in the 7kg limit, or are they in addition to the 7kg limit? What do you think? I'll post the VB reply.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

I think all of the carry on items would have to be included in the carry on baggage allowance.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM

We fly domestically in Oz on Qantas and Virgin Blue and did not encounter any problem with regards to baggage. We had 3 checked bags between my wife and I and we each had a carry on which I'm sure exceeded the 7 kg rule. Two of the three checked bags were big as well. The only place we thought we'd have problems was in Brisbane when we were heading to LA, they actually had a check point where they weighed your carry-on, but the girl there was easily persuaded to letting people get by a tad over.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:44 PM

Lovely reply from Kate at VB:

"You will be happy to know that the 'extra' item is in addition to the
7kg allowance. Generally, we only recommend that you take one of the
listed items in addition to your 7kg bag, but our Cabin Crew will allow
you to take a small extra item. For example, as well as your 7kg bag and
handbag, you will also be able to carry a camera or a laptop etc. You
will not be permitted to carry all of the 'extra' items in addition to
the 7kg."

Just what I was hoping to hear!