Cathay Pacific 1st Class Seat Assignment

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathay Pacific 1st Class Seat Assignment

After years of saving FF miles, I'm finally going to depart 10-30-04 from LAX to Honk Kong in 1st Class, continuing on to Beijing in Business Class.

Any tips of picking seat assignments? Is there a preferred side of the plane for rubber-neck viewers like me?

I know Cathay Pacific has had wonderful reviews in years gone by, but are they still great? Anyone with recent experience?

I return HK to LAX on Thanksgiving evening at 11:30 PM. It seems I read that I can check-in up to 24 hours early and be rid of my bags for my final day in HK. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Seatguru.com has seating plans and comments on CX's aircrafts. Even though CX's website may show your LAX-HKG flight as "EQV", it's either 744 or 74J; and both have the same 1st Class configuration. Apparently, row 1 is the best; also if you've flown at the front of a 747, you'll know that you really get the best view there as the plane tapers at the tip so you'll get a somewhat "forward" view too. As for which side of the plane, it really doesn't matter much these days. Not much of a view landing at the new HKG at Cheklapkok.

HKG-PEK uses the 330 (330-200). Again, check seatguru.com. Avoid the first and last rows of the Business Class cabin.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I did not check, but last time I looked, CX had a 74B and 346 running that route. the earlier flight is(was) the 346 and the later one is the 74B. I have tried both in F and if you still have a choice, take the 747. If you are flying single, take 2A or 2K. 1A,K are too close for comfort, especially on a 747. If you are on the 346, either or, the 1A or K or 2A or K. There are only 8 F suites on the 346, there are 12 suites on the 747. I prefer the 747 because of the intimate. club feeling in the nose of the giant, whereas the 346 has a galley in front of the cabin, so there is a lot of traffic going through the cabin.
CX is a great airline and you should have a great flight, but as witnessed by me and reported by few others, they do make mistakes and not every flight is flawless. Still, you should have a wonderful flight. The entertainment system is one of the best. The suites are good (not great), but the PJs, the real pillows and duvets make up for any shortcomings of the suites.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM

AAFF - CX only has 3 346s, and are now put into rotation mainly for the HKG-JFK non-stop. Both LAX flights should be with 747-400s now, which have a reputation of making fuel-stops in Taipei, especially in the winter time.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

AAFrequentFlyer and rkkwan,

Thanks for your speedy responses! I'm all set now--well at least as far as the flights go!!

It is a 747 to HK, and I got my seat assignments this AM. I'm really looking forward to this trip and flights! That seatguru site is cool!

Thanks again for your help.