carrying bed pillow on plane

Old Jan 13th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carrying bed pillow on plane

when you have 2 carry ons already would your own bed pillow be considered another carry on if you put it behind your back while flying? I know it sounds silly because in reality it is another carry on but not sure how airlines feel about it. Has anyone experienced this?
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 04:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never seen then count a pillow as the personal item, but some budget carriers might since they try to charge for everything. People usually carry them (bed pillow or curved neck pillow) draped through the strap/handle of their carry on.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I travel with a pillow both domestically and internationally since I would say early 2000s. I travel on planes about 3 times a year and only once in Chicago was my pillow, carryon bag and purse an issue. The lady taking my ticket at boarding made me give my pillow to my brother. That was early 2000 and since I sometimes put my purse in my carryon. During the flight my pillow goes behind me. I recently even bought one of those compression bags to put the pillow in my checked bag on the way home if I need more room to carry on the plane. On my way back from Florida in May, the TSA lady scolded me for not having my pillow in a plastic bag. I never thought to do that so something you might want to consider even though I do use a few pillow cases.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, in general, the pillow will not count as a item.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 12:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not use a compression bag, and put it in one of your carry-ons to avoid potential issues?
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
On my way back from Florida in May, the TSA lady scolded me for not having my pillow in a plastic bag. I never thought to do that so something you might want to consider even though I do use a few pillow cases.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because you know they never clean those belts. One day in Daytona a guy took stuff out of his suitcase on the belt in security and a hundred cockroaches came out. We had to bag it and put it in cargo. No way was it flying in the plane overhead compartment.. He said the suitcase had been in the garage. Most people in line were on the same flight and were freaking out. You must be a tiny person to be able to fit in your seat with a big pillow.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 04:05 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Eewww cockroaches. I've thought about stuff spilling on my pillow which was why I have a few pillowcases but never thought cockroaches. I did got out and buy a vinyl pillowcase after the tsa comment. I don't consider myself small but people say I am. I take a standard pillow and also use it to keep warm on flights as I often freeze.