Search

Flying with RLS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with RLS

I am lucky that my restless leg problem is sporadic and not severe, and I am not on any kind of medication. However, the moment the lights are dimmed on an overnight flight, the urge to move my legs begins and makes it impossible for me to sit still. I have to get up and walk the aisle, do calf stretches, or jiggle my legs. My MD suggested Ambien. Well, I don’t like to take Ambien because I don’t sleep long enough and can’t function the next day.

On a daytime return flight it is it is not a problem. (I take Dramamine both ways for air sickness.)

Any tips on dealing with this from other travelers with RLS?
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 06:52 PM
kja

I'm not sure I can help, but other than encouraging you to discuss alternatives to Ambien with your physician, I know I've seen several threads here on Fodor's over the years. Here's one; you can find more by googling "Fodor's" "restless leg syndrome" Good luck, and let us know if you find something that works for you!
Do you ever get "jumpy leg" syndrome on flights from the USA to Europe?
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:38 PM

I hope this doesn't post 3 times as this is my third time trying to get my reply to post. I also have RLS and have trouble with it on many flights, especially those that are longer than 2 - 3 hours. I have found that a muscle relaxer works for me. My Dr. prescribed Soma for me, after trying several other kinds of medication. Since Soma is a fairly large pill I cut it into 1/4's and take 1/4 at the first sign of RLS coming on and often that will work. If it does not work, I take another 1/4 and it has always worked for me. It is the only way I can travel if I get any sign of RLS as it is miserable. Good luck to you.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. I remember that thread and will have another look at it.

Cali, do you have any after-effects from the muscle relaxer, or does it just gradually wear off?
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:39 PM

No, I don't have any after affects from the muscle relaxer. Possibly it would make me really tired if I took a lot of it, but with only 1/2 a pill (usually) I feel fine all the time.