Search

American/British Airways lounge access question

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American/British Airways lounge access question

Hey everyone,
I知 heading to Europe from Chicago in July. I booked business class using American miles. The overseas flights are on BA. I知 flying home from Vienna with a six-hour layover at Heathrow. I was wondering if I get lounge access included in my ticket. If so, I assume it would be BA or OneWorld lounge? Even if I do, are there nicer lounges that would be worth springing for? I知 looking for a place where I might be able to take a nap and shower. I tried reserving at the pod hotel in the terminal but wasn稚 able on the date I fly home. I also looked into a day room at an airport hotel, but it was pretty expensive. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2023, 03:17 PM

The BA lounge is the best thing about the airline. There's comfortable seating, good food and drink, and clean facilities. Don't think you could take a nap, though.
Old May 24th, 2023, 09:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you arrive at Terminal 5 BA Lounges are your only option. There are several lounges spread all over the enormous terminal, and they can get quite crowded. Nothing that much to write home about because of the overcrowding. Ordering only vis QR codes. Do pay attention to the flight departure screens because what shows in the lounge may not be updated the same time as those in the terminal -- gate changes are common and it can be a loooooooong walk if you are in the farthest lounges.

However -- a few BA flights do use Terminal 3. I 'Think' Vienna BA flights land at T3. If so, it is likely you will land at T-3 and depart for the US from T-5. There are airside and landside connections between the two terminals.

IF you do land at T-3 that is a BIG (huge IMO) plus because there are several One World lounges and you can use any of them. The Admirals Club, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, BA etc. In fact I was in both the Cathay Pacific and Qantas lounges this morning (flying home on AA).

The Admirals Club is OK but is a bit dated and worn around the edges - can be crowded. I didn't bother visiting this time. The Cathay Pacific Lounge is GORGEOUS and not at all crowded - at least it wasn't today. Walls of windows with lounge chairs and views if you are in to plane spotting. very stylish and good food/drink options. The Qantas Lounge is almost equal to the Cathay Pacific lounge -- it is two story with a round bar and baristas upstairs.

Its easy to lounge-hop because Qantas and Cathay are right next door to each other and the Admirals Club not far away, and just bit farther to BA.

If it was me (assuming you do land at T-3) I'd spend time in Cathay Pacific for sure, then mosey over to Quantas, then transfer to T-5 before your flight out of T-5
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:30 AM

Jet lag (!) -- woke up in the middle of the night and for some reason was thinking about your thread -- anyway I was thinking . . . I have never connected from T-3 to another terminal on the way back to the US - I've always either connected w/i the same terminal or had a layover in London before flying out of T3 or T5. My lounge visits yesterday were as an London originating T-3 passenger. If you were to go landside you wouldn't be able to use the above mentioned lounges because you'd then only have a boarding pass for Terminal 5. So you'd definitely want to stay airside to use those lounges (There is an AA Arrivals Lounge after Passport control/Customs but I'm not sure if you'd have access with a short haul European flight??).

I'd read up on the rules for each of the Lounges -- they are usually pretty clear who does and doesn't have access. But in any case you will have lounge access somewhere . . . (if someone else here doesn't know for sure - maybe register and ask your question over on FlyerTalk)

Now, its back to bed and try to get my body back on West coast US time. . . .

Old May 25th, 2023, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do arrive in Terminal 3 make sure you leave plenty of time to get to Terminal 5. And I do mean plenty.
Old May 25th, 2023, 06:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You won't have access to the T3 lounges if your connecting flight departs from T5. When you disembark, follow the "flight connections" signs to the shuttle bus that will take you to T5. You'll go through security and then be released into the zoo that is T5. Choose the lounge that's closest to your departing gate, once it's listed on the big board.
Old May 25th, 2023, 07:01 AM

Thanks for clarifying that Gardyloo -- I worried about it after I posted. (too bad because - wow - the Cathay Pacific lounge is so nice)

The only issue with "Choose the lounge that's closest to your departing gate, once it's listed on the big board." is the gates aren't announced until near boarding time and the OP has hours to kill. But one culd look at the recent history of the flight to see when gates it usually uses. No guarantees but at least improves the odds.
Old May 25th, 2023, 11:13 AM
P_M

We've just returned from a trip to Europe on BA biz class using AA miles, in fact we returned a week ago today. We enjoyed the BA lounges at Terminal 5 on our trip. We also had to transfer from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and it can be time consuming. As mentioned above you will have to use the lounge at the Terminal from which you are departing.

One other thing, if your flight goes from a B gate or a C gate at Terminal 5, I think it's best if you go straight to that area and use the lounge there. Our flight home went from a B gate. It took a lot more time to get to the B gates than we anticipated. I recall from a previous trip they had a speedy train between A, B and C gates, but that was out of service when we were there and we had take a bus. The line for the bus to the B gates was very long.
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, everyone.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 08:45 PM

The BA lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 is quite large, and the drink and food on offer is very good--especially the Indian dishes. There's chair and table seating as well as padded chairs to relax in, along with showers and restrooms. We haven't used the AA lounge in some years, but back in the day it too was exellent.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Underhill
The BA lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 is quite large, and the drink and food on offer is very good--especially the Indian dishes. There's chair and table seating as well as padded chairs to relax in, along with showers and restrooms. We haven't used the AA lounge in some years, but back in the day it too was exellent.

"The BA Lounge"? There are several BA Lounges in T-5. Three Club Lounges, the Galleries First Lounge, and the Concorde Room -- all are not the same/equal.