Aloha 10% discount for AAA members!

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha 10% discount for AAA members!

Just this a.m. Aloha Airlines telephone rep told me that they will discount fares 10% for AAA members.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM

I think this only applies to full, non-discounted fares??
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patty....Probably so, but then how does one get a discounted fare from Aloha? I hope to take them from Honolulu to Rarotonga in February. I've checked just about every so-called cheap fares website and no cheapies available.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:17 AM

I don't know other than to wait for a fare sale. Right now the lowest fares from HNL-RAR are running about $450 for travel thru September. It might be too early to book for February if you're looking for a cheap fare. If you do find a good fare for Feb, let me know. We go to Hawaii every winter and have been toying with the idea of spending a week in the Cook islands now that Aloha flies there. Seems like a great combination and allows us to break up the flights a bit.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty...In speaking via telephone with an Aloha rep, it was suggested that I call them every two weeks (or so) as they have no idea when a fare sale will happen. It was also mentioned that the flights to Raro are rarely full, so just maybe we can play a waiting game?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Patty.......Bad news! Aloha's fare for HNL-RAR had been at about $1100 for my Feb-April visit there. I waited for it to drop and didn't book. Well, in the last few days it has skyrocketed to $2050 (and that's with the 10% AAA discount). An Aloha res. person told me today that there would be a sale only IF the plane wasn't getting full closer to departure.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Hang in there Kathy! I checked the HNL-RAR flights for Feb 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th and these flights look like they have plenty of availability in all fare classes. I saw another ad a few weeks ago for HNL-RAR for around $400 roundtrip for travel thru mid-December, so I would say it is still a little too early for Feb-Apr. Of course, you're taking a gamble but I doubt many people would be willing to pay the current price for a ticket from HNL-RAR!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Is the $2050 for two people? I just checked fares for Feb 10th outbound and Feb 19th return and it priced out at $1119.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Patty.....I guess there's a price to pay for a long term stay, not sure why tho.
Yes, that $2050 is for one person! Can we trust the seating charts on their website to keep tabs on the availability of seats? Or how else can one know availability?
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:29 AM

I didn't realize you're planning a long term stay. That does make a difference as the sale fares usually have a max stay of 60 days (that $1119 is also 60 days max). How long are you planning to stay? I used this tool to check availability in various fare classes:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/...leo/frame2.asp

It's in Japanese but pretty easy to use. Just input HNL for origin, RAR for destination, the date (I think they only fly once a week Tue out/Thu back), AQ for airline and hit submit. It will show availability as something like this:

C4 Y7 B7 H7 M7 L7 Q7 T7 V7 UC X4

I think the display is limited to 7 as the maximum number of seats available for sale in each fare class so that usually means there are more than 7 seats. I'm not familiar with Aloha fare classes but Y is normally full unrestricted coach, B/H/M are less restricted coach, and the rest are cheaper, very restricted coach fares. C is probably business.

Seating charts are not as reliable as not everyone holding a ticket may have pre-reserved their seats.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Here's a link to another galileo check that's a little more user friendly than the one I posted above:

http://www.virginflyer.com/galileo.asp

It lists all of the airlines and you don't need the 2 letter code.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Patty.....Wow, thanks for the searching info.......Either you're in the travel business or are a super-smart traveller. I'll try both of your sites. I'm staying in the Cooks Feb 9th to April 15th or thereabouts. I've already got a downpaynment on a rental so I need to show up! I hope you decide to go, it sounds like a great place, supposedly like Hawaii was 50 or 75 years ago.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:57 AM

You're welcome! I'm not in the travel industry just someone who loves to travel and likes to do my own research. Do you mind me asking where you're staying? I've been researching some rentals and Muri beach seems like a good area. Also there have been several recommendations for a particular house on the south coast on these boards that sounded nice. Is this your first trip to the Cooks? Are you staying on Rarotonga or going to other islands too?
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Patty...I'm staying at the Flame Cottage on Muri Beach. Set it up thru Shekinah Homes: (http://www.shekinahhomes.com/map.htm) They are very pleasant to deal with and were suggested by a Cook Islander/resort owner/operator formerly of the U.S.
Yes, it's my 1st trip to the Cook Islands. I'll probably venture to another island or so tho I'll wait till I get there to decide. If you haven't used Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, do so, using the "branch" Australasia & Pacific --Pacific Islands & Papua New Guinea. Lots of Cook Island info.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Thanks, I'll check that site and the Lonely Planet boards.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Patty...Just got a great fare quote from Goway Travel.....goway.com. I checked them out on Fodor's, Epinions, Google (groups), etc. and found many good comments about them. I'm booking tomorrow! Give them a look.