Search

airport security?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airport security?

I will be arriving in Auckland (on a flight w/ AirNZ) at 5:15 am and then catching a flight (w/ Qantas / JetConnect) at 7:00 am. Normally this would not be a problem. Except I just found out that AirNZ and Qantas do not have an interline agreement. Which means we need to get our luggage and recheck it and then go thru security again. All in about 45 minutes (as long as our flight is not delayed). My question is... is security in NZ as big a nightmare as in the US? I know I need to budget AT LEAST 2 hours when flying within the US. Do you think we'll have time to catch the Qantas flight?

Old May 16th, 2007, 02:57 AM

Assuming your flight is on time to Auckland, I think you will be fine. When I was in Australia back in Dec., there was no liquid ban and security was not a nightmare, but don't take flash pictures in the airport. I couldn't help take a picture of the security guy dress up in a Christmas tree playing a musical instrument.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM

The liquids ban was added April 1.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:39 AM

langrobe...You sure about that interline agreement?Air New Zealand has an agreement that they can check luggage to Qantas.But not the reverse.If you are originating on a Air NewZealand seems like you should be able to do it.However, it might be an exception.
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM

International arrivals at Auckland have to retrieve their luggage to go thru agriculture,customs, etc, and haul them over to the domestic terminal.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Make sure that you check the Air NZ and Qantas websites for information about the list of prohibited items re agriculture policy and scrupulously avoid carrying the wrong stuff in with you. (Some of it's obvious stuff, e.g, fruit and veg, but some of it is a lot pickier than what you're used to. For example, if you have packed boots or shoes that have dirt on them from a rural area, that could be a problem.)
You don't want to have to go through a lengthy search of your baggage.
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Oops. One other question. Is your onward flight departing from the International Terminal (I'm assuming that it is because it's Qantas/Jet Connect)?

If you're connecting to a domestic flight, you need to budget some time to walk (outside) to the domestic terminal (maybe 7-10 minutes). Quite a pleasant walk after a long night cooped up in an aircraft.