Airfare

Sep 21st, 2003, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Airfare

I was shopping around for airfares to Amsterdam for Thanksgiving wkend, throughout the whole week...same time, same airline, same date...I got the price of $316 RT. So today, my friends and I have finalized the planning of our trip and decide to book the plane tickets with the same airline, using the same site, same time and date thinking that $316 RT to amsterdam would be perfect. BUT, as of today....the price of the ticket suddenly went up to $486 RT...can anyone tell me why?? Will it go back down again?

Very very frustrated!

Thanks!
Sep 21st, 2003, 03:36 PM

Maybe. Try again later today and then again tomorrow morning.
Sep 21st, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Ok....my questions is...is it because of the time of the day that I'm searching, also given this is a sunday that's why the "jack" up the price?

Thanks for your reply!
Sep 21st, 2003, 09:33 PM

Suppose at the beginning of the week there were still 100 free seats on that flight. During the week, while you were discussing with your friends, 20 other people decided to book the $316 fare. So now there are only 80 free seats left, and the airline believes it can sell these for at least $486.
Now, if nobody books these seats at this price, next week the airline *may* decide to lower its price again. Or, if 20 people book for $486 this week they may decide to raise the price to $628 or such. Your bet is as good as mine.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
sandi

It's claimed that Wednesday at 12:01am is the best time to check fares. Supposedly this is when the airlines return to inventory any tickets that haven't been paid for.

Nowadays, one never knows when the prices will to up or down, so when you see a fare you want, instead of doing it online, call the airline directly and hold the seats. You have at least 24-hrs to pay; should the price go down, you win; if up, you've got the price locked in.

Even though airlines say there are better fares online, I've found that when you contact them direct and ask for the online fare, you'll get it. I've never yet been turned down.

Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:05 PM

As I encountered recently with my trip to Orlando, there may be only one seat on the place at the $316 price. If you try to book more than one person, you pay more.
But prices change every day (and sometimes hour to hour). That's why you need to book when you see a price you're happy with.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

I really really appreciates everyone's feedback! After learning that airfare DOES go up and down on certain time and days....I have finally booked my ticket at $316 RT on the same flight, time and date to Amsterdam. I've checked the site day and nite every chance I got, never gave up and actually got lucky and got the price that I was hoping for. I got really luck I have to say because right after I purchased my ticket, I went back to check again to see if it is the same price....and it jumped again to $462! So I am really thankful for all the feedbacks that I got from u guys to motivate me for not giving up! THANKS!
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Placing a 24 hour hold over the phone does NOT guarantee the fare with many carriers, it just holds your 'seat'. When making your reservation over the phone, they tell you 'fares are not guaranteed until ticketed'. I've only had it happen once where the fare changed, but it does happen. Alaska Air is one carrier that does guarantee your fare during the 24 hour hold.