Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelocity Farewatcher feature just a come-on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great fare came up on my farewatcher last week for Orlando-Milan, $520 R/T, on Martinair. Trouble is, while I have no problem putting in a departure date, all the return dates I try come back with the message that Martinair doesn't operate that route on that date. OK, but I tried dates 3 consecutive days before and after the date I wanted, and all came back with the same message. Is this feature just a trick to keep you checking the site? I thought Travelocity would be above that!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:59 PM

first of all it may be a once per week trip or twice/week...try that...

i have had the same trouble and find that those seats have probably been taken by someone already...

call the airline direct and ask or go on their site and see their schedule....

its frustrating
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 07:56 PM

I've noticed wierd stuff on Travelocity before. Some of it may just be temporary errors in the way stuff got entered into the fare database. Airline fares are really complex, and the computerized listings don't do sanity checking.

I find it also annoying when they list a fare, come up with their calendar, and there are *no* seats available on *any* of the days listed. Every once in a while some good stuff shows up, though.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Not once in a few years of trying have I ever been successful at securing Travelocity Farewatcher offers even when I respond within a minute of receiving the offer. IMO, the messages are a come-on. I did buy tickets from Travelocity once when the website offered exactly what I wanted.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:00 AM

I've been able to snag the farewatcher alerts on 2 occassions in the past. However, they are often restricted in that you can't fly on weekends or over holidays.

Even when I haven't gotten them, I usually can get pretty close to those prices with itineraries I like better.

I fly out of DC, so I have lots of choices of airports and direct destinations, so maybe that makes a difference?

Karen
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:04 AM

The main problem with farewatcher is that there are so many people using it that many of the really good deals do get sold out in a matter of minutes.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:54 AM

I just use Farewatcher to help keep an eye on specials. When something comes up there, I check the website for the airline and pretty much always get a better deal.

It is worth dropping by Travelocity and checking the numbers on your farewatcher. Often by the time their email notice comes, the low fare is no longer offered.

Keith
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Travelocity's alert worked for me. I just bought a fare on Martinair from Orlando to Amsterdam, non-stop, Sept. 1-12. Now the fare was advertised as $612 R/T however after taxes & fees, Travelocity fees AND a $19.95 delivery charge for paper tickets (no e-ticketing on this airline!) the cost increased to $704 pp/R/T. All in all not too bad a price this year and going non-stop is attractive, but I've read some bad reviews so I'm crossing my fingers the flights are ok.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM

I kind of look at those Travelocity alerts as a come-on also. I discovered that on many of those super-duper deals it's easy to book the outbound but the return required you to come back 2-3 days later. They were basically weekend getaway deals. I stopped subscribing because most of the really alluring fares occur in February-April when there's just no way I can take time off from work. Nor can most other people - that's why it's so cheap.