Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Flight Changed To Condor Air

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:00 PM
susie2

I have a flight booked in late Dec. from Miami to Munich. Today while I was online I discovered that Lufthansa changed the flight to a "Partner Airline" Condor Air. The flight times changed about an hour as well (both ways). I've done some research on Condor Air, so I know something about them. My question is.. Have any of you flown on Condor, are they better or worse than Lufthansa? Just wondering also, should Lufthansa have contacted me about this change? Once again, I thank you all for any advice or opinions.

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condor is basically a charter airline. Do call Lufthansa and find what the seat pitch and 'across' seating is. Some Europe charter operators of 767s have 32x4x2 seating, i.e 8 across instead of the normal 7 in coach, also legroom is minimal, I do not know the seating/seat pitch on Condoe but 'I' would certainly check it out. Also I am almost certain they do not have seatback TVs like you would have had on a Lufthansa Airbus 340 which I pressume was the original aircraft.
If you are loosing the seatback TV pleasure and you are going to get cramped seating, then 'I' would be annoyed about it, anyway DO call them and let us know!

JamesA
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:00 AM
sandi

James is correct in Condor being LH's charter carrier and it's not a surprise that this is the carrier between Germay and MIAMI and many Europeans take their winter holidays in the Florida.

While I can't comment on the equipment I would check with LH if you can accrue frequent flyer miles on Condor for your United Frequent Flyer program (that's if FF miles are a consideration).

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:33 PM
susie2

Thank you for your replies. I talked to Lufthansa today and they "assured" me the same service on Condor as I would receive from them. The seating is 2-3-2, and I'll also get my Lufthansa Miles and More points. As long as it's not Air-Tran, I'll live. Just a funny note--I checked on the Condor web-site and it said...As of Novebmer 1st 2003, SMOKING WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED on any Condor flight... As a smoker, I guess I missed the boat. Ha-Ha

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:51 PM
sandi

Susie2 -

Then Condor is probably one of the last hold-outs re smoking. I've made it on 35-40/hr (check-in to check-out of airports) trips to SEAsia or South Africa and survived - so will you!

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:36 AM
susie2

Sandi,
Re: not smoking- Do you have any tips to offer? Last Christmas when we went to Munich from Miami (We LOVE Munich a Christmas time) I just had it in my mind I wouldn't be able to smoke for about 12 hours and I had to deal with it. I did chain smoke about 4 cigarettes at my last opportunity. I think all that nicotine in my system helped (it made me feel sort of buzzed for a while though).

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:59 AM

Susie I can sympathise. I was 'scared' when flights went non-smoking but if I can manage it anyone can!
1> Put a few packets in your checked baggage. Once you are into the airport non-smoking eniroment throw away any cigarettes you have. Do NOT carry any with you on the plane, once you know you have no access it seems the craving just goes away, you know you cannot get hold of one and that's that.
You can't stop on arrival in airports but once outisde you have then in your baggage.
I also took some Nicotine inhalers with me but until now I have never had to touch one, but knowing they are there is enough. That's about it, I am fine now. Of course something to help you sleep is worth thinking about too.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:00 AM

P.S Get packs of candy, masses of them!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:41 AM
sandi

Susie2 - besides the lack of nicotine, I find smoking is more a tactile or taste issue. The reason why when many quit tend to use food as a substitute (your taste buds come alive again), but then there's the issue of weight gain. So toss the candy idea (sorry James).

Sugarless gum or mints are good for the mouth issue, and having something to do with your fingers/hands - play cards or small board games. If all else fails - tranquilizers to calm you down and assist in being able to sleep most of the flight.

Granted at my connection in Japan when heading to SEA, there were smoking rooms so I managed a smoke there, but the closed smoked filled room was too much for me - couldn't wait to get out of there. While going to SA there was no real connection/layover - straight thru 14-hrs, 2-hrs in terminal with NO smoking allowed; then 2-hr flight to final destination. I survived. After a few hours you don't even think of it. I had 1 smoke leaving the terminal and 1 at the hotel (on terrace, as my partner doesn't smoke).

In fact on most trips I'm with a non-smoker and rarely during these entire vacations have more than maybe 4-5 cigarettes a day. It's mangeable, don't think about it and keep yourself busy. Think about just how many places you can't smoke back home - and you manage.