AAdvantage Upgrade on Turkish Airlines?

Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
mjz
Original Poster

AAdvantage Upgrade on Turkish Airlines?

I'm considering travelling to IST either from ORD or JFK on Turkish Airlines. If the appropriate fare is booked, can I upgrade to business class using AAdvantage miles? Has anyone had any experiences with Turkish Airlines?

Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

To answer your question on mileage upgrade - no.

AA miles could only be used to upgrade on AA metal.

No experience with Turkish Airline, but I'm sure you could read few reviews here:

www.airlinequality.com
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:40 AM
sandi

miz - I don't whether you are planning your trip to Turkey for idependent travel or with a group. If the latter, some of the tour operators (most with small groups) offer a Business Class upgrade for a relatively small amount $800-$1200 which is much less then if you had to pay for a BC ticket. However, if you decide to check into this, be sure to find out whether you acrue BC miles at 150% (versus only 100%) to be put into your AA FF Program. Just a thought.

Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:03 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks to both for the information.
Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:11 AM

We used our American miles out of ORD a few years(2001) back to do ORD-IST on Turkish airlines. The flight was long(about 13 hours if I recall) but the flight was fine-basic. They only had one screen in economy for the movie(no individuals at seat) and I believe we saw only 2 movies the whole time so there was alot of "reading time"and listening to the screaming toddler who finally went to sleep on the approach?.Wine was complimentary and the food was okay.Security was unbelievable at the Istanbul airport and this was before 9/11 which made me feel secure.The flight attendants were cordial.The reason we used Turkish Airlines at the time was that we could not get to JFK(it was spring break time) to get on the Delta Airlines nonstop which I would have preferred.Going nonstop to Istanbul either from ORD or JFK is the ONLY way to do it. Any other questions-let me know. Have a great trip and enjoy. Its at the top of our list for best family vacation!
Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:39 AM

dutyfree,

the question was not about using AA miles for a free ticket on Turkish Airlines(possible), it was about using the miles for an upgrade from Y to J (not possible).
Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:26 PM

AAFF, the OP also asked about any experiences with Turkish Airlines and dutyfree actually flew ORD-IST on Turkish Airlines.

Since question did ask about "any experiences", then I will add mine. I flew Turkish Airlines from Izmir to IST and also from IST to Athens. Both flights were uneventful.
Aug 25th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Sorry AA Flyer-I assumed that if the poster asked "anyone have any experiences with Turkish Airlines?" that they were also looking for someone who had traveled on them.(I would like to add that our family flew Istanbul to Izmir and a return to Istanbul on the same American mile ticket.) I should caution you that Turkish Airlines would not allow us to take an earlier flight out of Izmir even though some of the flights were empty because of the way the ticket was written with the miles so it was a long 6 hour wait at the airport.
Aug 26th, 2004, 12:58 AM

No need to apologize. I just wanted to make clear there is no confusion about the mileage part. I didn't say anything abut the experience.

Aug 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM
mjz
Original Poster

AAFrequentFlyer set me straight on Turkish Airways and dutyfree mentioned the once weekly JFK - IST flight on Delta. I'm now seriously contemplating cashing in some of my Delta Skymiles for a Business Elite ticket (on a 2 week hold) from MCI - ATL - JFK - IST. The straight shot to IST from the States is appealing to me. However, I have one of those NWA discount travel certificates and can do the trip from MCI - MSP/DET - AMS - IST for $493 r/t. I have Silver status with NWA and can get decent coach seating in either a bulk head or emergency row exit. Decisions...decisions......
Aug 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
mjz
Original Poster

There are actually several weekly non stops from JFK to IST....sorry for the inaccuracy.
Aug 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Delta (I thought) flies JFK to IST everyday but perhaps during this "war situation" it is less service. The NWA thing seems VERY LONG and a hassle with all the different legs. I personally think that on a long flight (12 hours and more) that going nonstop is the way to go.