AA rescinds booze charges on transpacific flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As of 8/1 AA does not charge for alcohol in coach on transpacific flights. There is still a charge on transatlantic/South America long haul flights. It goes without saying that all the local international and domestic flights also charge for booze in coach.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Thanks for that information. Perhaps if they had free booze on transatlantic flights their flights would fill up? I'm finding that one of the major advantages of flying on a U.S. airline to Europe is the plane is not full.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:54 AM

So on Transpacific flights, this makes United and American with free booze in coach? (U.S. airlines)
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:10 AM
mjz

Help me out here...do many people actually purchase a coach ticket for international travel with free alcohol being a key criteria in their decision?
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:21 AM

So on Transpacific flights, this makes United and American with free booze in coach? (U.S. airlines) Any other airlines?
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Speaking only for myself, I like to have wine with dinner--not sodas. If the foreign airline (that has free wine) has a price that is $30 to $40 more than the U.S. airline, I will pay it. However, I also look for an airline where I can get frequent flyer miles. If FF miles didn't matter, I would book the flight on Priceline.

A glass of wine helps me sleep on an overnight flight. Also, foreign airlines do keep the cabin quiet at night with less announcements, at least that is my experience in flying.

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Wally34949 - I guess I'm thinking like mjz on this one. Are you saying it's worth paying $30 to $40 more for the "privilage" of having "free" glass of wine with dinner? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't alcholoic beverages cost about $5 per drink which means you'd have to have 6 to 8 drinks to break even. Seems to me you are either "paying the man now or paying him later". I choose my airline first on the basis of my FF status but price and scheduling also contributing factors, certainly not whether or not I got "free" booze. Don't misunderstand, there's nothing wrong with having a few drinks or wine during a flight (I've been known to imbibe on many occasion) it's just that it shouldn't be a deciding factor in selecting a particular flight.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM

First of all, I check the schedule, then the price. I don't care what they serve, if anything.

I would rather bring my own "coke" - red wine, or "sprite" - white wine and pay less for a ticket.

I flew Newark - Zurich this May, and the flight to Europe was full, the flight back was partially filled.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Three drinks each way makes $30. I consider it a tax that is not included in the cost of the flight.

Continental was charging $5 or 4 Euros for a drink on a flight. 4 Euros is 4.99 in U.S. money. Save a penny! Pay in Euros.

But, what about the person who flies from Poland to Berlin, the flight is late and doesn't have time to get Euros. Guess he won't be buying drinks.

And what about the person who flies to Miami from the islands, doesn't have time to get dollars, and flies to Honolulu with food for purchase. Guess he won't be eating.

The bottom line here is "Let the buyer beware." That's why I like web sites like this one.