Notices

Alcohol on United Airlinesto Paris-free?

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:16 PM
Ron

Alcohol on United Airlinesto Paris-free?

I took a flight to Paris on Delta and there was no charge for beer and wine since it was an international flight. Is that the way it is on United Airlines to Paris? Thank you.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:42 PM
Bob

I did not know that any airlines gave free alchol except in first class.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 11:27 PM
yes!

All international flights serve free alcohol......in moderation, of course.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 01:11 AM
Andrea

UA serves free alcohol on transpacific flights (in economy, as it is my misfortune to know intimately!), so I would imagine they do on transatlantic flights as well. You can also ask your travel agent or check their website if you want to find out for sure. The Soave was quite nice . . .

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 01:17 AM
Gregory

Hi,

Continental airlines have recently started charging $4 for alcohol on international flights.

All others are still free.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 01:19 AM
xxx

For competitive reasons, at least on the New York - London route, all airlines have been offering free drinks (wine and beer) in economy class for years so I suppose it is also so on the UA Paris routes.

Note however that Continental as of 01 July ceased this practice and US Airways as part of its whatever has announced its intention to do the same thing.

So the answer, at least for the time being, is a conditional yes.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:06 AM
Sue

No more free alcohol for economy translatlantic fares is one of new regs that US Airways came out with last week.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 12:34 PM
lbb

This is the first that I have heard about the discontinuing of free wine and beer. If these cost cuts help to keep our airlines in business and the occasional cheap fare available I guess I will give up my wine. Sure will miss it though. I will get to see it first hand when I head to Paris in March on United Airlines.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:04 PM
XXX

Prediction:

Virgin Atlantic will not follow suit which means British Airways will be forced not to do so and that will keep American from doing it. At least that is what I think will happen on the London flights....Since the prime American carriers on the Paris routes are Delta and Continental as well as United and Air France is not bag of joy, it might not happen that way on the Paris routes.

Purely speculation on my part you do understand.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:47 PM
Howard

I'm sorry, folks, but I can't believe that whether an airline gives free wine and beer will determine which airline someone will book!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:49 PM
xxx

Well, it does matter. All airlines & their food suck. Free alcohol could make the difference.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:57 PM
Sue

That's too bad, it was a nice perk.

Howard...I don't believe anyone said it would effect which airline they took, or did I miss something?

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 03:25 PM
drunk

I find that it is helpful to know because it means either I have to take a flask or there is extra room for my "neck massager."

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 05:17 PM
2bad

If this is true, that's sad. Because of the awful conditions in the cattle class (e.g. cramped seating, inedible food, etc.), the free wine was on int'l. flights was one thing to look forward to. I remember UAL giving more than two wine choices also. Of course, that was a few years back.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 05:37 PM
Lenny

I'm in accord with Sue: who said anything about choosing an airline based solely on this bucks-4-booze statute? All things being equal (i.e. schedules, price, ff miles, etc.) it's just one more item to factor into the selection process. At least that's how I will look at it. (say 4 drinks/person each way @ $4/pop = $64/roundtrip)

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 05:38 PM
Lenny

for 2 passengers, that is