AA Has No Record of Me Postponing Flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a flight booked for departure on July 10, SFO to JFK and called American 2 weeks prior to postpone my trip due to a minor medical concern. The AA rep. assured me this was fine and not a problem as long as I re booked one year from the day ticket was purchased, all I needed was my ticket number to re book.

Called today to re schedule my flight and was told there was NO record of me cancelling. When I asked to speak to a supervisor they told me there was no one there and all I could do was send an email complaint. So, this is AA's error and now their word against mine. I've re booked once on United and was quite painless.

Has anyone had this happen?
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Hi helrot, did you document the date,time and the represenatives name that you talked to? Did you get any confirmation number etc?

I have found that keeping a Journal and documenting the type of phone calls, anything involving money in fact can be valuable as so many conversations seem to get "lost".

I would call again and ask for a supervisor. If none is available be polite and hang up. Call back every 30 minutes until you can get somebody with some "smarts" to assist you.

However, a question. Was your ticket a nonrefundable ticket? Best wishes to you.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I don't know who's right and who's wrong, and don't know what will happen from now; but it sounded like during that phone call, they explained to you that you <b>could</b> rebook within a year but nothing was actually done then?

It has to be rebooked prior to your original travel date.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM

<b>rkkwan</b>,

that's not correct. You are allowed to have credit minus any fees as long as you have the <b>ticket number</b>, NOT the <b>reservation record number</b>. The PNR disappears into thin, electronic wasteland air about a day or 2 after the flights are completed. AA will tell you that it's a MUST to have a ticket number to find the reservation.

I suspect either one of the 2 things happening here. 1)The agent messed up, but it's also possible that 2)the OP is mistaking the Recorld Locator Number for the Ticket Number. Without the Ticket Number it's impossible for the airline to find the original reservation.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:08 PM

AAFF - I am going on very little info here, so I can definitely be wrong. But the way I'm reading it, AA can find the OP's reservations, just no record of the cancellation. So, to AA, he/she simply didn't show up and forfeited travel.

Again, just a guess.