AA Aadvantage Gold/Platinum Now for a FEE!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Rocky

AA Aadvantage Gold/Platinum Now for a FEE!

In AMerican Airline's latest e-letter,if you do not qualify for the Gold or Platinum status thru miles,segments you can extend your status with a fee--Gold $395 Platinum $595 thru 2003.Niceif you havent been able to fly enough.See www.aa.com/elite.
R

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Ellie

What a ripoff.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:58 PM
natalie

It is a ripoff. Now they're charging for what I used to get for free. As an Aadvantage platinum member I used to get all the same American Platinum perks by just showing my card. I was so embarassed when I went to the Platinum line to board a recent flight. The ticket agent told me those benefits were cancelled. I had used the card like that for several years and now all the sudden it's gone. Not to mention every time you turn around they're raising mileage amounts to use your FF points. I understand they're strategy as the airline is strugling but I think they are alienating customers more than anything.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:00 PM
natalie

Oops. I meant I had a platinum aadvantage personal and business credit card in adition to my frequent traveling.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:27 AM
x

Natalie,
You have never been able to get elite American Airlines benefits merely with a credit card of the same color. Surely you must be confused?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 02:54 PM
natalie

Not the use of the 1st class lounge but we used to be able to board the plane w/ platinum card members and book upgrades in advance, can't do that anymore.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 03:20 PM
natalie

PS. The credit cards are Citibank American Airlines Aadvantage platinum & business plat.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:02 PM
x

Natalie,
Were you traveling with an American elite memeber? No one except American elites (Gold, Platinum, Executive Platinum) gets any kind of benefits. Having a gold or platinum Citibank credit card gets you nothing from American Airlines.

First class lounges (Flagship lounges, you mean?) are available only to those flying in the first class cabin. Even an Executive Platinum member flying coach does not get access.

Upgrades for non-elites can be processed only at the gate with a full-fare coach ticket.

Early boarding is not extended to anyone by virtue of a credit card. You must be an elite.

Please stop spreading false information.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I know nothing about the American Advantage program because I'm not a member. In pure economic terms, gold elite status on the carrier I use would easily be worth the fees cited if the benefits were similar and a passenger was doing any substantial amount of air travel.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:29 PM
natalie

I'm not spreading false information. Every time I've flown with my husband AA in the last 8 years or so I have pre boarded by showing my AA platinum member credit card. Never had a problem until I flew to Chicago 2 weeks ago! I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't accuse me of lying as I am not not would I make this up. If you don't believe me call Citibank Aadvantage and ask for platinum member services. Also, when I was in Hawaii last year over Sept. 11 AA told me I could call in to request an upgrade using our miles 3 days before departure-can't do that anymore. Just because you have not heard of something it does not mean it isn't true. Why are you getting so bent out of shape over something so insignificant? Geez.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:32 PM
natalie

P.S. I've also flown first class a lot too and just because I didn't call it "Flagship" doesn't mean I don't understand what it is. oy.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:04 PM
xxx

x, first class lounges, AKA Admirals Club Lounges, are availible to first class ticket holders as well as any regular aadvantage mileage members who purchase membership for $350 and up depending on mileage status. Don't spread false information!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Marilyn

First class lounges are also available to international business class travelers, I believe, when there is no separate business class lounge. At least they've let me in somewhere very nice with free food and drink and comfy chairs.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:54 AM
x

Someone else please call American Airlines and ask if what Natalie says is true and then post the answer here. I'm not getting bent out of shape, just trying to save people embarassment.

Also, Flagship lounges are different from Admiral's Clubs. Please see www.aa.com for further information.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
x

Just re-read that Natalie mentioned she was trying to upgrade using miles. Of course, any AAdvantage member, elite or not, can do that. I don't think they have stopped letting you do it in advance; either the flight was full or you were on an award ticket to begin with. When she said "book upgrades" I thought she meant using electronic upgrades.