Search

Question about AA Baggage Fee needs clarification

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about AA Baggage Fee needs clarification

Hi everyone-
I am flying from JFK to Tampa next Monday. I bought the ticket (at a great rate BTW as this was before the hikes) on April 9.

In reading American's website and such, it seems that if the ticket was bought before June 12 then I will not be charged the $15 first bag fee. I bought my ticket on April 9. The website also says that if you are an American Platinum member (which it says on my Citibank credit card linked with AAdvantage) then I will also not be charged baggage fees (I'm only bringing one possibly checked bag).

Is this true? I don't want to get to JFK and find out otherwise or be given a problem by a ticket agent. I printed out what I could, but the area of the website with the real specifics cannot be printed nor copied into Word. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM

You are slightly confused.

First, your CitiBank Platinmum Credit Card IS NOT the same as having American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum Status. You get Elite Status - Gold, Plantinum, Executive Platinum- by earning miles by flying something a certain amount of flights/miles in a calendar year. For Platinum status I believe you need something like 50 flights or 60,000 miles a year so unless you have Platinum Elite Status that "rule" doesn't apply to you. What you have described is a "CitiBank Platinum Credit Card " - it carries no weight with American Airlines other than it allows you to earn AA miles on all your credit card purchases.

On the other hand, you are correct, since you purchased your ticket in April you will not be charged the $125 First Bag fee.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

A Traveler is EXACTLY RIGHT. I should have mentioned that I hadn't yet called AA because I'd rather pick the brains of more experienced and knowledgeable people like yourselves. My credit card has nothing to do with it but yes, allegedly since I bought this ticket before June 15 I will not be charged.

Just in case I figured out how to print the little pop up on the AA website that states all of this, which of course I will be bringing with me for when they try to charge me (I'm so optimistic about this, aren't I????).
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
J62

If you yourself are a platinum member then no, you don't have to pay any baggage fee.

If you bought your ticket on April 9 then no, you don't have to pay any baggage fee.

The Citibank / AAdvantage MC in my wife's purse has her name on the card and says 'Gold level'. That card is linked to MY AA FF account, and my wife is NOT AA gold member.

If you are not sure your AA FF level give them a call or check your account on the website.

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM

J62 - don't confuse the CitiBank "Gold Level" or "Platinum Level" marking on the credit card with American Airlines AAdvantage Elite status level. CitiBank offers "Gold Level" and "Platinum Level" credit Cards (you can review these as well as all Citibank Reward Cards and their terms on the Citibabk website). The "Gold Level or Platinum Level refer to your credit level and term of the card.

Those terms have no connection with your FF elite status even though your FF number appears on the credit card. Your elite staus is NOT listed on the Credit Card.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
J62

Exactly. We agree.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM

~~On the other hand, you are correct, since you purchased your ticket in April you will not be charged the $125 First Bag fee.~~

wow, the fees have REALLY skyrocketed!

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

The very nice and informative sounding woman at AA with whom I spoke specifically said that even if my Citibank CC says Platinum Level, that does NOT mean that I am at the Platinum level with American Airlines. Only with Citibank.

Either way, I'm not paying. I am ready for a fight! A nice one, of course, as I really need to get to Tampa!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Hi Skier Girl - to print out the pop up, hold down the control key and click on print screen. Open a word document or word pad, and click on paste and the pop up will show up on it. You can then edit and print it.

Good luck

Julie
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Does anyone know what's happening with those AA passengers who board last with their carryon and find no room for it? Are they being charged to gate-check it?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM

No, gate check shouldn't be charged.

In today's WSJ, there's an article about this issue. And AA will be rigorously checking how much stuff passengers are taking on board. You may even see the sizers again.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks rkkwan. I wouldn't be surprised to see the sizers come out of storage.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
yk

I wonder how the sizers will work when airlines only list one measurement limit for the luggage.

Eg. AA's website says carryon has to be less than 45 inches.

Given that, I should be allowed to bring along a box that measures 43x1x1.

Perhaps I should pack a tape measure with me.