55 minutes in CDG

Dec 30th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

55 minutes in CDG

Hi - question on making a connection in CDG in July 2008. We are flying from Athens to Manchester through CDG on AF. Our flight from ATH gets into CDG at 3:10 and our MAN flight departs at 4:05. Does anyone know - will we have to change terminals or go through any of the horrors that I have read about? Our booking agent assured us that there would be no problem but...well...I'd rather hear it from experienced people.
Dec 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM

DON'T DO IT!!!! Even if your flight is on time, your plane may be parked far away from the terminal and have to be bussed in. Give yourself at least 2 hours.

Tom
Dec 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Don`t even consider it. CDG can be an absolute nightmare at the best of times. If it is a through booking and you dont have to collect your luggage at CDG I would allow at least 2 hours. If you do have to collect luggage then add another hour.
Dec 31st, 2007, 12:13 AM

I would definitely do it. It is an AF connection and AF are selling it as such. If for some reason the connection is missed, there are another 2 flights at 1815 and 2015 which AF will have to rebook you on one of those. The arrival terminal is 2D and the departure terminal 2F.

Dec 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM

As the above post says, if you miss the connection, then AF will re-book you on one of the two later flights. Of course, that is if there is space on those flights.

From my own personal experience with CDG (which I now avoid at all costs!), you will be lucky to get through the security check in 55 minutes, let alone get to the connecting flight's gate.

There are several European airports where a 55 minute connection is do-able. CDG is not one of them.
Dec 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. I wonder if anyone can tell me exactly what (security, luggage claim/recheck, Schengen to non-Schengen lines) we will have to go through during that 55 minutes? Looks like we'd be better off sanity-wise opting for a later flight out of CDG. Or just collecting our bags and walking to Manchester!
Dec 31st, 2007, 08:44 AM

take the later connection. the "legal" connection time the system allows you to ticket for is 45 minutes in cdg. and their reputation for lateness, missed connections, etc...is well founded. best case scenario, you race off the plane, through security (maybe) and have to find the terminal you have to go to, and worry the whole time if you are going to make the connection, and probobly will have your luggage go on a later flight anyway. i have literally been running through cdg with moments to spare. that's when i wasn't going on 3 different buses around the airport to get to a flight that is boarding remotely, on the tarmac. you are checked in through your manchester flight at athens, but that doesn't mean they hold the flight for you. a two hour connection will go very, very, very fast and you will be able to make your flight, and you'll get your luggage in manchester.
Dec 31st, 2007, 10:23 AM

The AF website gives you the information on the exact transfer route.
Dec 31st, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Otto and Odin - I will check the AF site for further info. DH says "go for it" so it looks like we will be sprinting, sweating and swearing. What a rush!
Dec 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM

Your choice, BUT the majority say dont go for it. If DH says go for it then it will be interesting to read a report about the row - sorry discusion- that you two have when you realise that you have either missed your flight or that you luggage has missed it.
GOOD LUCK and you will need it.
Dec 31st, 2007, 06:28 PM

Sorry, but can't think of a thing to say here that is going to make you feel good. Thinking that it will work because AF is selling tickets this way is just wishful thinking. AF is notorious for this type of impossible connection. I fly through CDG frequently and have NEVER made a connection AF to AF in this short of a time frame. It can take 60 minutes from the time you arrive at your gate until the shuttle drops you at the CDG terminal. You can chance it, but relying on later flights (which may be booked) is a risk. Why not book on the next one and avoid the angst this is going to create?
Jan 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, blightyboy and RandyK. I have spoken to DH again about the PROBABILITY, not possibility, of missing our flight and having a distressing afternoon. Thus risking my extreme displeasure! And missing our rental car connection in MAN. He has agreed that maybe it would be a good idea to try to change our CDG to MAN flight to a later one. If he can't arrange the change, I'll be sure to post a report on all that he suffers that afternoon!
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM

If you are already ticketed and on a discounted fare then a change will cost you. The connection is "legal" so the airline will not allow a change without a fee.

btw, I'm in the shortest possible connection camp. When and if I don't make the connection for any reason, whatever it may be, I was always accomodated on a later flight. Flights are full these days but there are always few seats left unless it's a specific holiday travel day.

The only time I may consider a longer connection is when my connecting flight is the last one for the day. If the misconnect is due to weather or ATC then the airline is off the hook. They usually gave me a distressed rate coupon for some airport hotel but whatever the rate is, I still had to pay out of my own pocket.
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM

I fly to CDG several times a month as a crewmember and we are ALWAYS taxiing for at least 10-23 minutes there so definitely don't plan on making it without cardiac problems!!!
Jan 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM

stefi, glad we could help. why start the trip out with such fustration? ;-) good luck.