Search

Where should we go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should we go?

My husband and I are going to take our kids to either Morocco or Turkey in June. I've always wanted to see both destinations and I can't make up my mind. I have three kids ages 14, 13, 12 who are well traveled and adventurous. Any advice?
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM

You haven't said how much time do you have off in June. If you have the time and finance then do both
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

We have two weeks off.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM

Either country can take up 2/weeks along.

Don't know from where you begin your travel, but have you checked air flights to both? And then, if you decide to split the time between the two countries... are there flights from IST to CAS? Then back home.

Turkey is larger with some distance between good tourist stops; likewise, distances in Morocco. A good guidebook for each country, if you haven't already purchased these, for where, how long, transport between areas, lodging, costs, etc.

Haven't been to Morocco yet, but Turkey was absolutely amazing.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM

I have never been to Morocco - but Turkey is fabulous! I've been there 3 times and can't wait to go back again! We lived overseas for many years and it was definitely one of our favorite places.

I took my younger son there when he was about 11, and then the whole family went back the next year (boys were about 12, 14) and then the year after that!

I found that - based on the school curriculum they were following - they could easily relate to a lot of the things in Turkey (Ottoman Empire, harems, etc). Lots of great archaeological, religious, historical sights....mixed with great food and great shopping (even for boys!).

I think kids that age would especially enjoy Cappadocia, Pamukule, and Ephesus.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will start researching those areas, airfares etc...
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 04:12 AM

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...ountry=morocco

Maroc Imperial cities are great in winter but

unless you like to shake and bake in lots of heat

might fly into IST and www.goturkey.com

for better weather/experience in June with kids...

Happy Journey,
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Having just gotten back from a two week self drive trip with my family in December and having been to Turkey I would love to give my opinions?

The two countries are both amazing and both of my "kids" now 25 and 28 say were in their top 3 vacations.My only concern would be the weather as both places can get extremely warm-particularly Morocco in the summer and not much A/C to be had. We were actually warm in Morocco last month and it was December!We went to Turkey in March and it was definitely warm but not unbearable but cannot imagine Ephesus in June?

I think that Turkey would probably be of more interest to your kids at their ages.Istanbul is so interesting and the other sidetrips would make a great vacation.
Morocco is wonderful and a terrific vacation spot but it would not be on my list for summer traveling!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi. Thank you for all your advice. I think we've decided that we'll go to Turkey. Now, where would you recommend we go? We have 2 weeks, 3 kids (ages 14,13,12) who are great travelers! Last year we went to Bali and Japan and, I must say, the kids remained adventurous and positive, even in the heat of Japan!!! I'm not too worried about the heat in Turkey, and besides, with kids in school, we don't have a choice of other months to travel. The thought of renting a car and driving is intriguing but it does seem like some of the distances could be long so, perhaps, we could fly to some areas and drive others? I'm loving the looks of Pamukkale, Cappadocia ..... We're comfortable travelers and love to absorb the culture, eat the food, meet the locals etc...
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM

You might be interested in my trip report; just click on my name to find it. We spent 10 days traveling between Izmir and Kayseri (Ephesus and Cappadocia), which could work within your two weeks, with a few days in Istanbul to see the highlights. The Rick Steves Istanbul book is excellent.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM

When I think of the 1 week whirlwind tour we did, we visited...Bodrum, Ephesus (Kusadasi), Aphrodesius/Pamukule, Konya, Cappadocia, and Istanbul.

Driving in Turkey is pretty easy (altho there are a few winding roads heading to the southern coast). Gas/petrol is REALLY pricey, so keep that in mind. But the roads are pretty well marked with various places to stop along the way to the major destinations. We even found an outlet mall (complete with a Starbucks and various clothing outlets) between Kusadasi and Bodrum!

I like Michael's idea of driving from Izmir to Kayseri. You could fly into Istanbul and then on to Izmir and get a car. From there, you hit Ephesus (and other nearby sites), Aphrodesius, Pamukule, Konya and then Cappadocia. Then I would fly back to Istanbul for a few days of sightseeing and shopping.

Now, that doesn't get you to a real beach area, but you could factor that in at the beginning - depending on what town you wanted to go to.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Here it is Feb. 15th and I am still trying to plan this trip. It has been suggested, by a well seasoned traveler, to visit Alanya. Would that all be too much.... Istanbul, Capadoccia, Ephesus, Konya, Alanya (?) and in what order? I did call a Travel Agent and she had an agenda for us but the cost was high and her profit was not broken down. I'm thinking I can do this on my own but I need to start putting in research time!!! I'm thinking.... fly into Istanbul for several days then fly to Cappadocia. From there rent a car and drive to Konya (sounds strangely intriguing) and then down to Alanya (is that just too far) and then up to Ephesus and then fly home. I love the idea of not having such a structured itinerary, as would've been had I gone with the Travel Agent, and I love the thought of driving and exploring...seeing and experiencing the people and their culture. Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM

We had visited Turkey about a year ago and loved it- one of the best trips, next to India. We had used a local Turkish agency, which had been recommended online- Backpackers Travel, based in Istanbul. Their service was excellent from start to finish- surprising as ours was a budger trip. It is a customized tour and adjusted to your budget. We did not want the headache of driving in a strange country- so they had us fly from Istanbul to Izmir. From Ephesus they drove us in a car to Pamakule- great place. From there they had us take an overnight bus to Goreme (Cappadocia). The Turkish long haul buses are very good. They even had a free coffee service on board. It was a great experience travelling with the local people on the bus. Konya is on the way to Cappadocia. Did not vist Alanya.
You must stay in one of the cave hotels in Cappadocia- the children will love it. Another must do is a hot air ballon ride- expensive but a once in a life-time experience floating over the strange formations.

Should probably do Istanbul-Ephesus-Pamakule-Konya-Cappadocia-Alanya.
A great resource for planning is turkeytravelplanner.com if you have not visited the site.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you srca166! I will also check out Backpackers Travel.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM

hi everybody,if you decide to visit morocco,i advise you to choose RABAT or MARRAKECH and not casablanca excursion;because the two first cities are concidered as imperial cities and there are many interesting moniments to see.Not like casablanca where the only things that are interesting are shopping,hassan the 2nd mosque and the royal palace.So RABAT or MARRAKECH will be more interesting.