Did you go inside a pyramid at Giza?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on planning a November trip with Ahmed. I was wondering if anyone here has gone into one of the pyramids at Giza. How long are you walking hunched over for? If cameras are not allowed, who did you leave it with? and most importantly, how much extra is this likely to cost?

husband is not a small fellow (5'11" 250lbs) so I want to make sure he won't have trouble. Seems too good to pass up, even if I have to go alone.

thanks in advance for your input.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:17 AM

I went into Khafre's pyramid and left my camera with my guide. You are right about it being too good to pass up. I couldn't stop smiling, I was so in awe of being there.

Khafre's pyramid wasn't too crowded, and, though the tunnel was full, we were pretty much able to keep moving forward the entire way down. You crouch for most of the "walk", but if you're continuously moving, it's not bad and goes quite quickly. We did get stuck on the way up because a man in front of us was struggling a bit, so I sat in the cramped tunnel for a few minutes. I have never been claustrophobic in my life, but, in the heat, it was a bit unnerving to stop and think about what was above you, and consider the crowds ahead of you preventing you from moving. It's a very strange sensation.

Khufu's pyramid (the largest) was packed with people. The line outside the entrance was not moving, and I couldn't help but imagine how miserable the people stuck inside the tunnels must have been. I was so glad I had chosen to go in the less crowded pyramid.

My favorite pyramid experience was at Dashur, where my husband and I had the entire Red Pyramid to ourselves. Not only was it thrilling to be able to contemplate the structure in solitude, but the pyramid construction itself was much more dramatic that that of the Giza pyramids. The chambers had beautiful corbelled vaulting and tall ceilings. If you have a chance to get there, Dashur is a worthwhile place to visit.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:26 AM

If you are claustrophobic I wouldn't recommend it. The first 30 or so feet is the worst. I was surprised how hot it was. I thought it would be cooler inside but it was hot and humid.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:32 AM

Description above is pretty good. I wouldn't know, as we decided against going inside - hunched over, closeness and heat.

But for those who did, various ages from 30s-60s, that we later met on our Nile cruise, all described similar experiences. With the exception of only one person, the rest said "if I had the chance to do it again, I would NOT and my legs would appreciate that decision"
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:54 AM

Going inside the great pyramid at Giza is a pretty awesome experience. The heat is extreme, as is the climb up to the main chamber. By the time I got back down, I was glad to get out into the "fresh cool air of Giza"!! I was literally dripping with perspiration. Would I do it again. Oh yes!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:18 AM

Yes, I think you have to do it or you will always wonder what it is like.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:39 AM

When I went down I saw a couple of fellows that size go down. It makes it more one-way traffic in the shaft, but it is doable. Just remember if bending forward in a crouch is uncomfortable, you can always turn around and go down backwards.

The cost depends on they pyramid. I went in the 2nd one. I think it was about 5 USD. Or less.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM

What sandi said. Our guide (from LadyEgypt) even recommended we skip it, and we weren't sorry we did (RBCal, I haven't wondered for 1 second what it's like LOL). I start to sweat even thinking about it!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM

I have to agree with RBCal that it would be a shame to miss such an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Unless you are seriously claustrophobic or have had recent knee or hip replacement I think you have to do it. I believe the great pyramid cost us $20 - but come on, the last standing Wonder of the World? Totally worth it.

I hope to go back someday and would do it again - and also will make sure I see the Red Pyramid next time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM

We were in Giza with Ahmed in January 08 - he was leary of us going into the pyramids because my husband has a bad back but we decided we just couldn't go all that way and not do it. We went into Khafre's and were so happy we did.

Ahmed held onto all our stuff - yes it is hot and humid and you are crouched over but there is quite a long passage where you are standing almost upright and walking normally - see this cross section

http://www.guardians.net/egypt/pyram...frePyramid.htm

I'm 6 feet tall (although not 250!) and did fine crouched over and my husband was fine too with his back. We're very happy we did it.

And here's a good description with cross sections of the journey into Cheops - I actually wish we had done both now!

http://earthmilkancientenergy.com/ch3.htm
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone.
I'll pass this along to my husband. At a minimum I will go (because I won't be able to say I didn't do it). He might be sold on the inside of the Red Pyramid as a compromise.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM

Another vote for the Red Pyramid. Fewer tourists so it doesn't feel crowded. And its free, too.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
P_M

I know you've already decided against it so this is for the benefit of anyone else:

I was there in 2007 and the Great Pyramid was closed but the Second Pyramid was open. I did it for one reason--as a check off my list of things to do in life. I am a short, small person and even I had a heck of a time walking in an L-shape to the center. Once I got in there it was hot and stuffy and there's really NOTHING to see inside the pyramid. You mentioned cameras and they are allowed, at least when I went. So in short I can honestly say I'm glad I did it so I can say I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Did it left camera with my guide

stuffy hot cramped stooped over and underwhelming for me

nothing of significance in the chamber

sort of a tourist trap for me but a must do for some.

Saquara Red Pyramid and especially valley of the kings

tomb visits were far better some the colors there were

amazing... Happy Journey,
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 05:47 AM

I wonder if going into the pyramid at Giza will be easier and more worth it with fewer crowds? I was planning to go into the Red Pyramid only but may take the opportunity to do both since I'm thinking there will be fewer crowds when we go (end March)...
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:17 AM
P_M

nola,

It wasn't crowded in Giza the day I went and it was still hot, stuffy and nothing to see. But do it anyway if it's on your list of things to do in life.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM

<<It wasn't crowded in Giza the day I went and it was still hot, stuffy and nothing to see. But do it anyway if it's on your list of things to do in life.>>

Exactly.

The Great Pyramid can be pretty spectacular feeling if there aren't loads of other people inside with you, but it can be overwhelming and disappointing if you have high expectations about what you are going to see. Most Americans (and maybe other nationalities) think the pictures they saw in their grade school social studies books of colorful wall paintings and such were taken inside the Giza Pyramids. This is not true at all. There is NOTHING of note on the walls inside the Giza Pyramids. You have to know that before going inside to have a realistic view of what is there. This should not deminish the feeling of being inside the center of a pyramid with ALL that stone all around you. It is an amazing feeling.

You can get the same feeling at the Red Pyramid in Dashure and in my opinion, the interior is more interesting - yet still no paintings on the wall.

Go to the tombs in Sakkara or the Valley of the Kings to see what you were shown in your social studies books.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM

<<<This should not deminish the feeling of being inside the center of a pyramid with ALL that stone all around you. It is an amazing feeling.>>>

I feel the walls closing in on me even as I read this! I wouldn't even consider it myself, especially with nothing to show for it! Just be aware how close the quarters are, because there's no way out (I assume) once you're in.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM

P_M and C_C, thanks for the info. about it being hot and stuffy with nothing of note on the walls inside the Giza pyramids. I could give 'em a pass--it's more a dream for hubby. I'll likely go inside the Red Pyramid--u gotta go inside one, dontcha? and that hike is supposed to be a little easier on the thighs... We have VOK on the itinerary and those tombs do look amazing.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 08:59 AM
P_M

Yes, the VOK is amazing beyond words. Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -