Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

visa photos-must they be actual passport photo's??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope this has not yet been posted. phots required for visa's...MUST they passport photos with shop name stamped on the back or any photo that LOOKS like a passport photo is acceptable?
thank you!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM

I forgot where you were going but if it's Kenya or Tanzania, no photos are required if you're purchasing your visa on arrival at the airport.

I don't know what the exact photo requirements are for visas purchased in advance through their embassies.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

i am going to uganda, rwanda, tz, ky, moz, and not sure where else south of that.
thank you!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:56 PM

In my experience, if you get the visa before your trip you need photos and if you obtain them on arrival then you don't.

The official US passport specs are here
http://travel.state.gov/passport/gui...ition_874.html

For my husband and I, we followed the instructions on this page, printed them at home, trimmed them to the appropriate size, and they worked just fine (for passport renewals and visas for Kenya, Tanzania, and China). I figure we've saved over $100 already.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
santharamhari

Whenever possible, I recommend doing all the visas prior to departure. Always, there are long lines at the entry point where visas are issued....not to mention filling forms......

Last thing you want after a long trip is to wait in long lines...

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I have a similar question. For the Kenya and Tanzania VISAS, if you get them ahead of time by mail or in person, do they actually use the pictures and attach them to the VISA? I am trying to figure out if I can print them out from the computer on bond paper or wether we need photo paper.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Only 55 days till we go to Kenya. I am going to get my visa when we land in Nairobi and after doing research here am I correct that I DO NOT need a photo? Thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:25 PM
bat

AmyH
For TZ, the visa ahead of time was a stamped entry in my passport.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:01 PM

For Kenya it is also a stamped entry in the passport.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM
kardon

As a matter of fact, I just got my visas for Kenya and Tanzania.

I had to submit photo for each. I just followed the instruction on the US passport site. Printed them myself and sent them in.

Kenya visa was stamped on my passport, no photo. Tanzania visa--which looks rather cool---has my photo scanned in (not pasted).

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM

I also just got my visa back from Tanzania. I used my digital and followed the US passport specs. The photo was scanned into the visa. I've done similar for my visa for China without difficulties.

I'd recommend doing it at home, but either use photo paper or have it printed at one of the mini-labs (CVS, Walgreens).
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:46 AM

We just got our visas for Kenya...no photo, just stamped...they did ask for 2 photos, though...what do they do with them?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I would suggest that you get them at the airport upon entry, or at the border between Tz and Kenya. I was just on the telephone this morning with the Tz embassy in Washington. They had a person's passport, which she sent for a visa, and they keep asking for additional information, not even pertinent information. They are going out in 3 days and if she doesn't get her passport back via overnight she won't be going.

I wouldn't risk it and my advise always is to not take the risk and get the passport at the airport. It's much easier and more foolproof. I travel so much that I don't like to send my passport anywhere.

Bottom line is - Send to the embassy and it'll take a minimum of 2 weeks most of the time (and sometimes you will need to call them to get it moving), do it at the airport and it will most probably take you no more then 15 - 30 minutes (most of the time will be waiting in the line.)

The cost is the same, other then needing to pay for the postal costs if you mail it to the embassy.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM

susanna,
No, you do NOT need photos when purchasing your visa on arrival in Kenya.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM

thank you Patty !