Travel Egypt

Feb 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Travel Egypt

Hi,
My Husband and I are planning a trip to Egypt in October 2005 and are looking at Travel Egypt tours, has anybody used this tour company? They want $2245.00 per person including airfare. My husband wants this tour because it includes an sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor.
Thanks.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi William,

Thanks for the response. I looked this up and the tours do not include airfare. Is there any other objection to an American tour co. other than price?
Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
sandi

ladyguiness - Since you don't list how long an itinerary, which hotels, how long in Cairo, how long a Nile cruise, what hotels, if any in Luxor or Aswan, which tours and stops are included and number of meals, it's kind of difficult to determine whether the price is good.

However, considering that air can run between $800 to $1100/pp especially in October, then the difference for the actual land portion is not out of line. While a number of people who post here have chosen to use in-country Egyptian tour operators, there are as many who prefer to utilize the services of a homebased tour operator.

Assuming $1000 air, that leaves $1245 for the land portion with is only $124/day assuming the standard 10-day itinerary. What can you get at home for $124/day? Even in Las Vegas there are no longer $49/nt bargains and $5.99 steak dinners.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" way of traveling. I have used both homebased tour operators, as well as in-country operators for my many travels and have been satisfied with both. You have to make that decision yourself based on your investigation, questions asked, answers received and comfort level.

Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:11 PM

Hey Lady, we just booked our honeymoon for April/May 2005 to Egypt. We live in Boston, but last year we got some brochures from a travel agent in England while we were there - the prices from London are amazing! We are paying 3000$ US for BOTH of us, this includes airfare, 14 nights, and all meals/drinks included. The travel agent we used is Lunn Poly 011 44 845 0713051 The only thing we are going to pay for is a few day trips. Since you probably won't be flying direct to Egypt anyway, transfer in London and book the rest of your trip from there.
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great information and input. we have backpacked through Mexico and drove all over Britain but since I am unfamiliar with that area of the world I don't feel comfortable planning this trip myself. Our Itinerary includes 13 days, 12 nights, an outside cabin on the 5 star cruise, all meals, all the basic tour places, we will be staying at the Golden Flamenco in Cairo, and a 1st class sleeper car on the train.
Here's the link, http://www.travelegypt.us/cruiseloversspecialtour.htm.
Thanks again, and congrats on the upcoming wedding townclose.
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:22 AM
sandi

ladyguiness -

I just looked at this itinerary and have many issues with it.

1.How come there are no tours included during your one day in Cairo? Why only one day in Cairo? Instead of a day of leisure you should have included visit to Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara.
2.As to the cruise, which 5* boat? Also, it would be most surprising that upon arrival at 5am they will board you on the ship. Guests already on that boat and likely departing (when one group arrives, the other departs)haven't had their breakfast... departures are after breakfast.
3.From the schedule listed, you're cruising up and down and back again on the Nile. You should be able to cover these sights going in one direction - up or down.
4.There is no trip to Abu Simbel.
5.When returning to Cairo, they put you out at the airport???

For a 12-nt trip you can have a 7-day cruise that takes you to the usual sites between Luxor/Aswan, and then sites north of Luxor. That leaves 5-days, of which, at minumum, three (3-days) can be spent in Cairo where they include those sites listed in #1, plus the Museum, Old and Coptic Cairo, the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar. For the other 2-days, ou can spend a day in Luxor or Aswan at the conclusion of your cruise; don't forget the trip to Abu Simbel.

Simply put, Travel Egypt is not offering you a good itinerary. I'd look elsewhere. If you want US based, check out Isram at www.isram.com (or www.isramtravel.com) who have been doing tours to Egypt for over 25-years. Another US-based company is Gate-1, likewise doing tours to Egypt for about the same number of years. Or check out Egypt Highlights (in Egypt) which gets very good reviews from posters here.

Mar 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again Sandy,
You gave me a lot of things to consider. I checked out the other sites and really didn't care for their options. Travel has a different tour, http://www.travelegypt.us/pharaohsnileusa.htm Seems to have more of what you suggested. No sleeper train, but better itinerary.
Thanks again
Mar 7th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Hi I am travelling to Egypt in April and also using the train from Cairo/Luxor/Cairo.Night train from Cairo 1st class sleeper single cabin and day train Luxor/Cairo. TOTAL cost inc meals on sleeper 75$. Suggest you book direct with Egypt Agency. Can give u the one I used if you are interested

Mar 7th, 2005, 01:59 PM
sandi

ladyguiness - I checked the tour link you provided (it's over $1,000 more than the initial itinerary you indicated) and believe you'd do better with one of the itineraries that Isram has available. I'd check their site again www.isram.com where they have itineraries for any number of days, and most include the trip to Abu Simbel. As well, Isram uses Sonesta Nile cruise boats, and/or the new Movenpick Radamis II.

Isram is a wholesaler and usually works thru travel agents only, but I'm sure you can go to them direct (we did). And while their dates appear to be for group departures... two people can be considered a group. If you want to take the sleeper train to Luxor, ask them and I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

Isram has been in business over 30 years and is very reputable. We did a trip with them to Turkey, with all 5* hotels and everything was flawless. And being a US-based company will provide the assurance you prefer rather than going with an Egyptian company.

Mar 8th, 2005, 05:19 AM

I leave this Saturday on Isram's "Treasures of the Nile" and will post a report when I return. Although this is one of the more expensive tour companies, I like that fact that entrance fees and internal air flights were included, even the excursion to Abu Simbel. I don't like having to pay for extras along the way, as with most tour companies like Globus and Trafalgar. By the time you add up all the extras, the all-inclusive tours come in line with the less expensive ones.
Felicia
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:42 PM
bbq

Hello
I have been using a Cairo-based travel agency named SeEgypt for all of my arranements in-country and they have been great, including price-wise. May speaks great English and is very responsive.

Fax: (202) 3589146
Tel.: (202) 3780972 * (202) 3784771 (202) 3592634 * (202) 3592639
Mob. : (2010) 5334994
Open from 09:00 till 17:00 every day but Friday.
E-Mail: [email protected]
www.seegypt.com.eg

Bonne Voyage!

Michael
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Sandi-
I think we "met" in the Kenya forum when I was planning my August 03 trip and now here I am excited about Egypt in April 05 and you're all over it!

You have amazing travel experience and knowledge, and apparently lots of time to do travel research. I consider myself an experienced traveler, but there is always more to learn. Will you adopt me? Or at least take me on your next trip?!
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:36 AM
sandi

OffToAfrica - Thanks for the compliment. As to adopting you? Well, I have enough trouble fighting-off my family and friends who wish to travel with me. And it's not that I don't want a travel companion... I have one or two... rarely travel solo, but if the situation changes...........

I'm only too glad to share my experiences and hope that this helps others planning visits to destinations I've been; and, I too, learn from other's experiences.

You'll love Egypt, but do be prepared for the heat in August. Enjoy your travels.

Mar 10th, 2005, 04:38 AM
sandi

... sorry, you're going in April (not August). Not as hot in Cairo, but it should be hot the further south - Luxor, Aswan and definitely Abu Simbel.

Search this Thread