our big trip to Egypt, Advice

Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

our big trip to Egypt, Advice

Hello,
My wife and I plan to be in Egypt for two weeks (longer?) during September 2004.
We are 70 years old and in good health but don't know a thing about travel/tours in Egypt.
Anyone have the time to help us?
What to see, a trip on the Nile, clothing, hotels, tour services, etc. etc.
Thank you in advance.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:57 AM

I went with Abercrombie & Kent January 16 to 27, 2004. It will be hot in September and the trip I was on was go, go, go except for 2 days. The first day I arrived and 1 day in Luxor. We also had a 4 night cruise and the time cruising was relaxing. We saw a whole lot in a short period of time. It was the most fabulous trip! There are all kinds of tours and I would highly recommend a tour because there are no hassles, everything is done for you and A&K everything is included, but expensive. Pack very lightly. I could go on forever!
Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:52 AM

Dear Georgeok - you might try Overseas Adventure Travel who has very reasonably priced trips and limits the participants. I will be doing a Maupintour trip in April. I have traveled with this company before and they do a great job. The only out of pocket expense you will have is a few meals on your own and a tip to your guide at the end. It is 17 days with a trip to Alexandria and a 6 night Nile cruise for example.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:43 AM

Hi Georgeok: You might want to check out egyptontheweb.com. They offer a great two week tour with 7 day Nile Cruise and several possible 3-4 day extensions. And the price is great!! We are considering this trip for Sept./Oct. 2004. Search their site and Fodor's for info on sightseeing in Egypt. Mimi
Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
sandi

Georgeok - all the tour company recommendations are excellent options. But do a search on this board for Egypt and past postings where names of tour operators can be found.

Most itineraries are similar - 2 or 3 days Cairo, cruise, time in Luxor and Aswan and Abu Simbel (sometimes included, sometimes as an option). Differences will be the length of the Nile Cruise (3-dy, 4-dy, 7-day), star rating of your hotels, trip to Abu Simbel.

If you're planning at least a 2-wk trip, the 7-day cruise would be perfect as you get to some really great sites that the 4-day doesn't. You should also consider an itinerary that includes some time in Alexandria (2-dys).

But finally, you have to decide your budget and whether you want to travel with a tour group or independently.

OAT is excellent for a group tour as they take no more than 16 people and their prices are very good. The other companies mostly will do independent itineraries - meaning that you will have a set itinerary, but a private guide/driver during you time in Cairo, Alexandria (if you include this). While on the Nile Cruise, you won't be alone except if you choose to eat your meals at your own table; but will go on land/site tours with a small group of people (maybe 15, rarely more than 20) and have a guide with you.

So the decision is yours as has to how you wish to travel. Pricewise, an in-country tour operator thru

www.egyptontheweb

will likely offer the best prices. If there are some special things you wish to do while in Egypt, there is an American woman living in Egypt who runs a small company, believe the name is Casual Cairo (I'll check for the website and post when I find it) who can arrange "special things to do" separate from whichever tour operator you select.

As far as travel in September, try for the end of the month, if possible, as it's still technically summer and the closer you get to October, the cooler it gets (though not a lot). Cairo will cool a bit, especially in the evenings, but further south in Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel will be hot.

Hope this helps.

Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
sandi

Georgeok -

Here's the name of that Cairo site:

www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net/

Debbie can arrange many local things for you - places to shop, unusual stops not on most itineraries, etc.

Check out the site and see what might be of interest.

Mar 5th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Greetings, MauiMaui (Love Maui), Louise, Mimi, Sandi 1 and 2.
Wow, now I have some work to do looking into your suggestions. What fun.
My wife, who has little use for PC's, thinks I have some cyber girl friends!
Life is good.
Kindest regards,
georgeok
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM

George....I was in Egypt at Christmas. Avoid Key Tours....they did a very poor job for me and were over priced. Also, while the Ramses Hilton was a nice hotel, it was completely impossible to walk anywhere....Take writing pens for the children. All the children asked for them and unfortunately I only had two....Egypt was incredible, despite the bad tour company.

Search this Thread