Gate 1 vs Globus

Jan 8th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Gate 1 vs Globus

Going to Egypt on tour in April. Have prices on both the Gate 1 and Globus tours. Globus is much, much higher. Has anyone been on either of these tours to provide some insite?

Also is Egypt air really that bad? Can we bring our own liquor on the plane?
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:22 PM

We did Globus 10 day tour April 2001. Great tour, great guide - no complaints.

The problem with comparing 2 tours of same area is that it is almost impossible to find anyone who has taken both of them - why would anyone do that? So my advice is to carefully check each as to what is included and what is extra (usually meals) and find out what hotels are used and read some independent reviews of these - also, check locations because sometimes cheaper tours use hotels that are not near anything.

We found EgyptAir better than most carriers we have used - but others have not found that. If you do a search here there have been several lengthy discussions on EgyptAir.

Have a good trip - Egypt is magical.
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:07 PM
sandi

I agree completely with Gail - very unlikely anyone would do the same tour with different tour operators.

So compare day-by-day the sites you visit (not just wave at), the hotels, the Nile Cruise boat, the stops along the Nile (some skip Esna), whether the Abu Simbel portion is included or extra. Check the number of meals - in Cairo, you should at minimum have Breakfast daily and if doing day trips such as to Sakkara and Memphis there should be a lunch included, also on day you do Pyramids, Sphinx a lunch and if a third day in Cairo for the Museum and Bazaar and Old Cairo there should be a lunch. Not having dinner included in Cairo is not unusual as it gives you an option to go to dinner where you wish, even if only at your hotel. While on the cruise you should have 3-meals daily.

Also compare the number of nts/dys for the cruise - standard are 5nts/4dys or 4nt/3dys (though there is a longer 7dy cruise). If the 4nt/3dy often you have 1nt in either Luxor or Aswan.

Check to see whether they include a Light & Sound Show - either at Pyramids, Philae Island or Karnak Temple in Luxor.

And there should be a visit to the Valley of the Kings/Queens in Luxor.

Have not flown Egypt Air and there is conflicting info on them - some like EA, others hate. As to bringing your own liquor, yes you should be able. Believe you can't bring large bottles, but if you have the little ones (from previous flights) you can refill and bring these. However, with all the security measures in place these days - don't take my word - definitely verify with the airline.

Once you decide, you will have a wonderful time in Egypt.

Jan 9th, 2004, 09:11 AM

We are going to Egypt with OAT in March. We decided to go with a higher priced tour since many of the complaints have been about the food and associated illnesses. My hope is that a more expensive tour stays at "better" places and has "better" food. I have no clue if my reasoning is correct, but it was worth the possibility to me. Also, the OAT tour is only 16 people maximum and includes some of the places that were options on other tours. I have been on a different Gate 1 tour and they ran an excellent trip and would use them again.
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:23 AM

I was asking myself the same questions you have regarding the 10 day tour to Egypt from both tour operators - I will travel on March 04. I've decided for Globus after researching for the hotels and the cruise used in both companies. Also, my experience with Globus had been flawless after taking some six tours with them in other countries. The itinerary is simliar but Globus's end with a high note visiting Karnak by day and night. The Abu Simbel option is cheaper too. Are you travelling on air/land or land only basis? The land only basis with Gate 1 does not include Egypt intra-flights, Globus do. You can save 10 to 12% if you make the reservations thru Affordable Tours or Pavlus Travel. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread