TRANSPORT TEL AVIV TO DEAD SEA

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, does anyone know an easy and (relatively) cheap way to get from Tel Aviv to the Dead Sea. I have one night at Le Meridien Dead Sea resort and all the hotel can advise is "catch a cab". Sounds expensive to me but maybe there is no other way? The next day I need to get from the Dead Sea to TA airport but I figure that shouldn't be as challenging. Any and all help very much appreciated. Thanks and regards
David
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Eli

Indeed it does sound dum to take a taxi from Tel Aviv to the Dead Sea... I think you you should opt for the regular EGGED bus which goes there. This is bus number 421 which leaves from the central railway station (at Arlozorov st. in TLV) daily at 08:40 (am). This location is reached very conveniently from any point in Tel Aviv. The ride costs 53 shekels single. This bus has 11 stops on the dead sea, the driver should be able to tell you which one is closest to Le Meridien. BTW the official destination name of this bus is "Ein Bokek"; I'm stating this just that you know that this is synonymous with Dead Sea.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:46 AM
eri

Eli gave you good advice. You should take the Egged public bus from Tel Aviv Arlozoroff central train station (there is also a bus station there). Just remember that there is only 1 bus a day at 8:40 AM! Be early so you don't miss it! As Eli said, it costs 53 NS (around $12). The destination is EIN BOKEK!!!
I think that going from the Dead Sea to Ben Gurion Airport might prove be more difficult. There is no direct bus to the airport. You could either go to Tel Aviv or to Jerusalem and from there take a bus to the airport. The Jerusalem option is much better sisce it is shorter and there are more buses every day.
You must remember that all this is true unless you travel on Saturday: There is no bus service from Friday around 2 PM until Saurday evening. The only transportation on Saturday is by taxi.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:02 PM

2 notes:

A. I took the morning bus to the Dead Sea from the Central Bus Station on the south side of TLV, but that was 5 years ago.

B. Hopefully your flight leaves TLV late evening. If there is only one bus a day going to the Dead Sea, there is probably one (maybe 2) going back to TLV (I know it goes via Jerusalem)...
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not just rent a car at Ben Gurion and drive there? Not a taxing drive, and it will make your return to the airport easier too.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM

I agree. Car rental in Israel is more expensive than in the USA, roughly $35 a day for a small car, but still cheaper than taking a taxi.

And you can stop on the way, tour the Dead Sea area, get to Metzada (Massada).
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanx to everyone for their help with my query. We've decided to hire a car. Todah rabah, David
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:39 AM
eri

Excellent decision.
Have a great time!
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:30 AM

I know that there is a van service from all the hotels in Jerusalem to the airport. It used to be called Nesher. I would imagine that your hotel should have info about a similiar service from the Dead Sea hotels.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:10 AM

David,
How did you like your stay at Le Meridien? I am planning to spend two nights there, but couldn't find any reviews of it.
Thanks!