Tour Operators

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour Operators

A group of 5 of us are looking for a private safari into Kenya & Uganda. I've researched GAP (traveled to Machu Picchu with them), Africa Adventure Company, Exodus, & Good Earth Tours. So, far Good Earth seems to be the most reasonably priced company. I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on Good Earth or any other recommendations good/bad with tour companies.

Thanks out there,
Leann : )
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:45 AM

You can as well try www.bestofafricatours.com

This is a serious local company with reasonable prices
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Good Earth regularly gets good reviews on this board. Many people seem to have used and enjoyed their services. Have you tried doing a search for "good Earth" on these boards?

We used Roy Safaris for our trip in August 2005 and had a wonderful experience. They usually price out comparably to Good Earth (I think) and also get good reviews on this board.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Oops, didn't note that you are going to Kenya and Ugada. Roy's is Tanzania based.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM

For Kenya, you may want to contact a Kenya based tour operator rather than a Tanzania based one like Good Earth (since you aren't going to Tanzania).

I have used Eastern & Southern Safaris in Nairobi twice and have been very happy with them. You can do a search here for 'tour operator' or Kenya tour operator' and you should be able to find more recommendations. Also check LyndaS's thread entitled 'East Africa Trip Report Index' which has summaries of who traveled where and which tour operator they used. Lastly www.katokenya.org has a list of member operators on their website.

For Uganda, I've read rave reviews of Great Lakes Safaris on this board. I haven't used them before but have been in contact with them and they've been very responsive so far. You could also let whichever operator that's handling your Kenya safari coordinate the Uganda safari if you wish, but find out which ground operator they will be using in Uganda.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I'm using African Adventure and am not totally happy with them, although the top sales people do seem knowledgable. That is, if you can speak with them or even get an email reply. Also, their assis. have given conflicting and mis- info.

They just seem to be too big/busy.

Although Good Earth does get good reviews on this board, I found that they just weren't forth coming with sharing thoughts or advise. I guess if you know ahead what you want, it may be ok. Their prices, as you say, are competitive.

Good Luck;
Sherry
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Someone (can't rememb er who) used Volcano Safaris in Uganda as well. Very satisfied, I believe.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Dear Leann

Although a competitor of ours, Exodus are well thought of in the Uk for group trips. They started in the budget overland truck sector, but I get the feeling they are moving more upmarket. Their marketing manager is an investor in Kicheche Camp which our clients always enjoy.

Volcanoes have just been mentioned. They are a great company although I have seen threads objecting to their prices. I feel you get what you pay for and their camps are brilliant and their driver/guides and vehicles safe and knowledgeable (the guides that is not knowledgeable vehicles)

Richard
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Dear Cybor

I read your message about african aventure ...Do you know their website ( cause I am in relation whith http://africadventure.net from kampala and they seems serious and sympatetic
..so my question is : Do you speak about them or not ?
Thank's a lot
Chinook
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:17 PM

I went with Volcanoes Safaris in August 2003 (Uganda and Rwanda), and while service and itinerary is my primary concern, not necessarily price, I thought there price was reasonable. By that I mean, I'd pay a bit more for responsiveness, attentativeness, etc. I worked with Harriet in their Kampala office, and she was excellent.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Chinook,
It's Africa-adventure.com - home office; Ft. Lauderdale,Fla. (it's africA rather than africaN)one of my many mistakes as of late, sorry
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Thank you very much for this information.
I am quite content that your comments are not intended to "my" TO ...

Chinook
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I have just booked my trip and would recommend the following:

southern cross safaris
eastern and southern
african serendipity (Sandi is very helpful but the most competitive of the Americans)
naked wilderness
next adventure (a bit pricey)
go2africa (also a bit pricey)

note: one of the best deals is to go exclusively to the Serena lodges in Kenya. however, we wanted to stay in the tent camps.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
bat

Kevin:
Would you post on your old thread to let us know your final itinerary?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I am still juggling operators at this time and have decided on a flexible itinerary. I will submit the itinerary to some operators and go from there based on suggestions, accommodations, price, and reputation. Thank you all for your help! I'll be back with the final decision.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM

I used Africa Adventure in Sept/Oct 05, and could not be any happier than I am with them. I NEVER had to wait for responses to emails, or phone calls. My trip was everything that I had dreamed for and more. The service was quite thorough, and I was more than positive that if there had been any problems with airline strikes etc, they would have taken care of everything without my having to worry. We did end up with quite a private safari (3 people), and were catered to every step of the way. I am planning to use them again! I know they can be more expensive than some of the others, but I feel that I got what I paid for and more!!@ Suzic
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Hi suzic,
I'm glad that you've done well and better than me with Africa Adventure. I'm still awaiting replys from questions asked 2 weeks ago - I usually give up and end up doing better with the kind folks on Fodors.

Your response makes me hopeful that my last minute details will be taken care of.

In all fairness, I did find their prices competitive. Also, they do have a good assortment of camps and lodges, whether private or done as a group.

Next time however, I would use Sandi from AfricaSerindipity because of her specialization of Tanz. and Kenya and her attention to detail.
Peace;
Sherry
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM

Hello, I would like to clarify a common confusion: "Africa Adventure Company" is a good traditional tour operator offering several destinations in Africa, while AfricAdventure (http://africAdventure.net) is a new company and the only to offer safaris combined with cultural, eco and sustainable tours. If you are looking for a different experience in Africa, it's worth a look at the website.