Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Company to plan our independent tour... Kenya and Tanzania - no @Beyond!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Beyond has been a disaster... messing up dates, being completely unresponsive... and Abercrombie and Kent has been great, but I fear the price they are going to charge us. Who else should we try for a trip to Kenya and Tanzania?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Make that andbeyond, not @beyond... Oops.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM

We used Africa Serendipity with Sandi a few years ago for a safari to Kenya. The price was excellent and the trip was exactly what we wanted. The Abercrombie and Kent trip was actually staying in one of the lodges that we stayed in although they were probably in more upscale lodges for other nights. I have looked at several Abercrombie & Kent trips and they are always extremely expensive- we have never taken one.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM

Your AndBeyond experience is not typical. Sorry you have had troubles.

No need to pay the A&K prices. What Patrick mentions is absolutely true. You'll see them where you stay. Upscale lodges are not the best Africa experience anyway.

Africa Serendipty always gets great reviews and Sandi offers outstanding advice right here. They are in NYC.

Others (in no order) include Premier Tours in Philadelphia, The Africa Adventure Co in Ft. Lauderdale, Eastern and Southern Safaris in Nairobi, to name just a few. I've had good experiences with AAC and E&S. Never tried Premier.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM

Some Tanzania ones are:
Roys in Tanzania with a US contact
Kiliwarriors in Tanzania and Virginia
Good Earth in Tanzania and Tampa

There are many more beyond these.

Just checked a Kenya/Tanz (under African Skies) itinerary for A&K that is $1300+ per person per day. Even more in Australian dollars, which is the currency on their site. There is no need to pay that kind of money. See what an itinerary that uses the same properties as A&K costs with someone else.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM

The person we dealt with at andBeyond several years ago was an absolute disaster. Same problems you seem to be experiencing. (We also met another couple on the trip who had the same problems with the agent whose name starts with M. ) Two weeks before the trip I had to repeatedly beg her to send us an invoice so we could pay. However, once we finally left, the trip was wonderful! I don't think you gain anything by booking directly with andBeyond. Any good agent can book their properties for you and deal with the booking process.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:49 AM

I'm pretty surprised. I had immaculate service the one and only time I've used them. This wasn't recently though, and the agent I worked with isn't with the company anymore. So, things may have changed?

I'm not sure the AndBeyond properties are that fantastic, where you have to beg their agents to give you a booking and make a payment? Find alternatives, research around and find something suitable...........
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:05 PM

You don't get a discount for booking direct. With these stories, not worth it to go direct.