Thrown out of Kodak Easyshare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an email from Kodak Easyshare that says I have to make a purchase in order to maintain free storage of the images in my account. My pictures are badly scanned from very low quality non-digital photos, so I don't feel like buying anything. And, as I happen to use the American Easyshare, I suppose shipping would be quite high. Does anyone know how I easily could move my photos to some free photo sharing? If there is such a thing…
Thanks.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM
santharamhari

That's pretty strange. How long have you stored the photo albums on the Kodak gallery?

I dont know of anyway, you can transfer ur pics from a Kodak album to some of the other websites. May hv to re-do it all over again....

Hari

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM

Oh no, I wondered if they'd start getting strict. I bet I'll be next!

Do you have your photos saved on your hard drive, CD, etc? If so, then snapfish is just as easy.

I don't know if you can move directly from Kodak to another location.

Would you consider just purchasing a few photos, maybe not the ones you have currently, but a couple of new ones that you'd be developing anyway? Or would you feel blackmailed?

I think that's what I'll do if they contact me. Just get a few photos developed from the next family gathering and hopefully that will fulfill their quota.

I think Yahoo might offer some free photo sharing if you have an email through them. But it might only be if you have a paid account.

Good luck and I'll be interested in any free photo sharing responses.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:42 AM

i think you only have to purchase one photo a year to stay active with kodak easy share. i don't know if all the photo storage places are doing this now but i also have some photos with costco and i got that email last week so i purchased a few photos. they at least do not charge shipping but are also a membership club.

i think you would have to have the pictures on your hard drive to move to another photo site and go through the uploading process again. but make sure who ever you choose does not require a purchase once a year.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
I've stored the photos for over a year.
I think I'll just burrow my head in the sand and hope they don't notice that I'm not purchasing anything after their warning. There's really just one album anyway – other Fodorites' albums are in the Index - and I have the photos stored elsewhere. If I would like to buy photos I could do that so much cheaper and more conveniently from photo sites in my country.
For the future it would be interesting to know which is the best free photo sharing site.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:45 AM

Kodak will eventually shut down your account and delete your photos. If you don't care, then might as well just wait it out. Also, you can order a couple photos for print and have them shipped somewhere in US. Do you have any addresses you can use. you canjust tell the person you ship them to, to throw them away.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

lerasp,
At first I panicked, but now I think I don't care.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM

I am not a fan of the Kodak sharing, anyway, as they don't support large enough images for viewing on a web page. Their printing services are good, however. I recommend a few:

pbase
fotki
flickr

Just to name a few.

Andy
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM

You could move them to somewhere such as flickr... a free account still allows the storage of many photos and a paid account is $25 a year and is worth it for people like me who store lots of pics and want to organise them into sets.

But the free account would be fine for you and they won't delete the pics.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM

Yahoo has free unlimited photo storage with albums to suit your own requrements.

You have to register with Yahoo, but you don't have to use it for anything else if you don't want to. I find that their on line email is pretty good - they have a great spam filter system.

When you join they offer you all kinds of email services, journals and whatnot. You don't have to accept any of them if you don't want to.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all ideas.
Yahoo reminds me of what I’m really afraid of – that hotmail would ask me to pay or stop using their services. As I’m using hotmail for all emails I would have to pay, if I could.

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM

How in the world would hotmail ever know that you are using yahoo, unless you told them????????
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

I don't think they would know or care. I'm just worried that they might stop being free or just close down.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I think Snapfish has the same restrictions (at least in the official langauage, if not in practice). You must purchase 1 photo per year to maintain your accounts. For a buck or two, you could ship 1 photo to a US address and just ignore it.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

OK. The first Fodorite who sends me a US address to sannasusathotmaildotcom will get a photo.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I hereby declare Dennis “Matnikstym” as the winner.

Congratulations!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

A couple of <font color="red">Kodak</font> <b>topi</b> stickers are on their way to Dennis.

Do not despair! There will be a new competition in a year.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Nyamera~the topi stickers arrived today. They are so cool!! Thanks!
Aloah, Dennis
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Been experimenting with Kokak Easyshare for uploading pics from my Zambia trip. Not all that impressed. Also took a look at Flickr.

But just started playing with Picasa today. It's run by Google and am really impressed so far. It's free, uploading images is easy and quick, and it has pretty cool and intuitive editing tools. Still have to put selected images in albums for access by Fodorites and others, and haven't figured out all the in's and out's yet, but it's looking good.

www.picasa.com

Jim
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

The gospel of the topi has reached Hawaii!
Congratulations Dennis!