Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yahoo Photos shutting down. Where do I move my photos.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received an email from Yahoo that they are shutting down their Yahoo photo website on September 20. We have some travel photo albums stored there and will need to move them. They are offering to transfer the photos to flickr, snapfish, Kodak Gallery, shutterfly and photobucket. I know very little about these websites and don't have much time to research and make the decision as we will be going on vacation shortly. Do you have any suggestions? We primarily use the website to display our travel photos online so friends and family can view them and order occasional prints. We don't want to pay a fee to post them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I have used Kodak Gallery for years and have been very happy. Kodak Gallery allows you to post photos for free. I do pay extra ($20 per month) to be able to have my own picture album address (www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates) but this is something that I chose to do and certainly doesn't have to be done.

I'm assuming most of the sights they suggested would work similar.

Tracy
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Oops...sorry about that! I pay $20 per year, not month!

Tracy
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I'm a big fan of Flickr, because of the simple page layout and because others don't have to register to see and print your photos (as long as your security settings are set that way). Flickr is also owned by Yahoo now, so I don't know if the process would be simpler than transferring to Kodak/Snapfish/etc. You can order prints from Flickr and either have them shipped to you or pick them up at Target.

You get a certain amount of storage for free (200 photos), or you can pay $24.95 a year for a huge amount of storage. For me, that's a small price to pay to know that all my photos are stored full-size and I can download them from the site if necessary (just in case something happens to my hard drive AND my backup CDs!).
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I use Photobucket, because it allows hotlinking, meaning my photos can be seen on forums and other websites from Photobucket.