south africa electrical adapters

May 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

south africa electrical adapters

what type of electrical adapter do you need for south africa? and where would i get it?
May 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM

check magellans.com they have a chart for adapters
May 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

You need a HUGE three prong one- get it at JNB airport!!!! EASIEST YET...I also take the electricity voltage adapter thingie- but so far have basically needed mostly the huge three prongs- and an extension cord- from home!!
May 22nd, 2007, 11:23 PM

I suppose it would appear HUGE to an American or even a European. OK, to most of the World. But it's actually the same size as the UK 3-pin, except that it has round pins. It's actually the old British standard, a throw-back to our colonial times.
May 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM

Darlene4154,

Your adaptor query is far from being a unique one as many visitors to South Africa ask the exact same question as you have done in this forum. Thus I set up the following website quite a while ago which should help you with all you need to know with regard to electrical plug usage in South Africa.

http://www.ilovecapetown.com/saplugs/plugs.htm

Hope this sorts out all for you.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
May 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM

Voltage Valet has a great selection of all things needed for travels anywhere in the world. That's where I got my EuroSurge and adapter for South Africa - extremely pleased with them both and very reasonably priced.
www.voltagevalet.com

They also have lots of info on electrical adapters/convertors, etc... on their site.
Cheers!
Viv
www.wavejourney.com
May 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that power at lodges and camps can be erratic and surges are possible. If you have room (and weight) available, consider getting a 240V surge suppressor strip. I took one with a SA plug and also an adapter plug for East Africa. I was able to plug in multiple items (laptop, video camera, camera, and battery charger) at the same time and not worry about power spikes.
May 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM

The site I ordered from was: http://www.wonpro.us/
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM

tuckeg, can you let us know which particular units you purchased? I was on the Wonpro site just the other day and couldn't figure out which of the dozens of products was what I actually needed.

Thanks!
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Hi, we thought we were fine with just he SA large adapter with the round plugs. This was fine for Cape Town and Kwetsani, but in both Chitabe and Duma Tau we needed the standard adapter used in Europe. In these two places the outlet in the room was on the floor and we could not adapt into it. It really was not problem, however, because we just charged everything in the office. My suggestion would be to take the large one for SA and your kit with an assortment of plugs.