Search

Solo Safaris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Safaris

I am looking for advice from solo travelers who have done group safaris. I've always been an independent traveler and the idea of 5 or 6 days on a group tour is a bit scary.

What have been your experiences? Did you meet other solo travelers? And were people of a similar age as you?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM

First off, given your concerns, I suggest you investigate a private safari in Tanzania. I've done that in Tanzania and elsewhere and it has always worked well, though you pay a premium for a guide/vehicle all to yourself.

Second, group travel in Africa is a different animal than a bus trip vacation from city to city, and I’ve done both. Unless you are doing a giant-truck-legs-hanging-over-the-side trip or an inferior very cheap trip, there will only be 6 max passengers in your vehicle. That’s a far cry from a busload of 40. Even if the trip has numerous participants, the number in a single vehicle should be no more than 6. Verify that before booking.

The ages for African group travel in my experience have ranged from 16-90, with the majority being 40-65, and have always been families or couples.

The wonder of what’s outside the vehicle has a focusing and bonding effect that transcends age, background…everything, so being the solo in a group has been no big deal. During meals, the camaraderie that was formed out in the bush usually continued, as vehicle mates eat together as a rule.

My next Africa trip is to Tanzania and I am looking forward to about 11 days with a group totalling up to 6 people, then several days of a private safari. You too, may want to mix and match. And if you are interested in Northern Serengeti, Mahale, and Katavi, maybe you want to be part of that group.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM

I'm basically repeating (and agreeing with) what lynn says above but putting it this way.

I have "safaried solo" twice (in South Africa). You may come into camp solo but you will share a guide and game drive vehicle with other guests. And likely meals with those same guests (if you wish). The only way around this is if you hire for a private game drive guide and vehicle, typically an extra $200-300 per day. Then you will be all alone.

If it were my first safari, I would like to be with a small group in camp and on game drives. There is so very very much to discuss, share, and compare. So, ok, go/fly solo to two-three selected camps and then let the camps take care of you. You will share you experience with a few others for a short time. Next camp will be new guests with you.

regards - tom
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM

I have found a difference between the procedure in Southern Africa and East Africa. In East Africa when I have been alone, I have been seated at my own table, by myself. Most of the time I was the only solo diner that I could tell but nobody was paying much attention or staring.

In Southern Africa, the camps have been small enough that everybody eats at the same table or I have dined with my guide and vehicle-mates.

When I've gone with a group in East Africa, the group ate together.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Interesting atlynn. Most of my safaris have been in South Africa. Was wondering if camps in Kenya, Tanzania were some bit difference, at least at meal time. My experience in more detail - Sometimes you may have lunch alone, since time for it is at your choosing, maybe 1pm-2pm. But dinner is almost always you, guide and vehicle mates. Again, if as you wish.

regards - tom
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM

I'm with you, trebex, the thought of any group tour, Africa or not, gives me the willies. If you've traveled independently before you can do it just as well in Africa. In places like S. Africa and Namibia, which have excellent infrastructure, you can easily drive yourself around. In East Africa you can pick some camps/venues and travel there on your own (by plane or with a driver and car). I've found that what happens at meals ranges from being seated alone to being seated at a group table. I've had several occasions when a couple or two would see me alone and invite me to join them---I usually think of it as the 'mercy' invitation. I'm happy to be alone but I've never not accepted when people have been kind enough to ask me over. Sometimes, the camps seem to find it unbearable that I am eating alone and have the guide sit with me.

As the above posters have said, at the camps you'll be assigned a car, which you normally share with up to 6 passengers total. In between sightings is a good time to speak with your co-riders and strike up some interesting conversations. It's all very low key and you'll no doubt have a great time.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I've traveled by myself, but mostly with groups on safari and prefer the latter. As Lynn says, it's a different experience than, say, Europe. You'll have a group of new friends with whom to share your experiences. That's a big plus IMHO.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I would suggest that it's very important to research the trip, especially the type of companions you can expect. I've generally had pretty good luck on group trips as a solo traveler - meeting some nice and interesting people. However, I've also been pretty thorough in quizzing the operator about who's on the trip.

I'm not a birder, and would probably not enjoy being stuck on a trip with a bunch of avid birders. And, this cuts both ways - they probably don't want me whining on their trip about the amount of birding they're doing. So, common goals and interests are important. I'd also prefer people my own age and of roughly the same physical abilities. You also have to consider the group dynamic - are everyone else couples? Am I being stuck in the middle of a family reunion? etc.

In South Africa, I had 8 days on safari as a solo traveler. On most of my game drives, I was in a vehicle with a family (ranging from 4-5 people). Generally, this was fine - the families were interesting, fun, and nice. The only difficulty I ran into was that one of the families was on their first safari, so we had to race around and find the big five.

If you're just going from camp to camp independently, then there's no telling who you'll get. If you do the pre-arranged group tour, then you can do more research on who you're traveling with. What's nice about going from camp to camp is that the companions would change, so if you're stuck with any duds, it's not for too long, unless their itinerary matches up with yours.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I would like to join a group, but I'd like it to be a small group and a group of like minded people.

In any event, I opted for Vietnam for this trip but will head to Tanzania soon.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Hi Trebex,
I am wondering what your interests are because I am in the preliminary stages of planning a safari in Tanzania and am traveling on my own as well. Perhaps we would make good travel partners. I am a woman and have travelled extensively throughout the world as well as in Africa and even lived in 2 african countries. So, who knows, maybe this could work out..
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM

my last trip was this March and it was a group trip ,the coming other is August and i will be Solo,Let me taste and see,

Anberry