Safari Alone A Good Idea?

Mar 18th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Safari Alone A Good Idea?

I will be taking a climbing trip to Kilimanjoro early in 2007. My wife is not interested in climbing with me but is considering doing a safari while I am climbing. She is uncertain as to whether or not she would enjoy it as much by herself. Any thoughts from any ladies that have done safaris by themselves? Thanks
Mar 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM

My friend and her husband did the exact same thing you are considering. He climbed, she safaried in Tanzania, then they did a safari in Kenya together. It was the first time to Africa for both and they loved it.

Most of my safaris have been alone and it is a great way to travel. You can be as alone or as social as you wish. If you share a vehicle with others then you are hardly solo. A private vehicle means less interaction but during meals and midday lounging there are usually others at the camp to socialize with.

Only she can answer the question if she would enjoy the safari enough without you to continue. But I see no reason why not. With a reputable operator and camps, safety is not an issue at all. Most people on safari are congenial. Shared interests are assured. Conversation among guests is easy.

I find traveling in Africa alone is easier than just taking the train alone to a neighboring city for the day.

Have a good trip and an eventual report would be a good way for others with this same question to read about your experience.
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM

Hi Jeffs8269,

I did a solo trip to South Africa in June 2004, and I am about to go to Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa in July this year. I have no problems, and I absolutely enjoy gameviewing by myself, as you are rarely really by yourself. If she loves gameviewing, I would think she would have a great time, otherwise, what will she be doing while you are climbing? Staying at home - surely not!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Mar 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Hi Jeffs8269,
I always go on safari alone, itís what Iíd like to be doing right now, and Iíd recommend it to your wife. The question is whatís the alternative. Hanging around in Arusha? Climbing Kili? Staying at home? The decision is easy.

Iíll say safari njema next year.
Mar 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM

jeffs8269

I agree with atravelynn completely.

I have solo'd on safari nine times in Kenya. Because you are a woman traveling alone the staff usually pays much more attention to your needs, and you, in turn, get to know the natives better. You can invite other single travelers to join you at meal time if you wish. If you end up sharing a vehicle you get to know fellow travelers. It is talking with staff that is most interesting, getting to know what their lives are like that I love.

I would have no concerns with your wife going on safari alone. She will be fine and have a marvelous experience.

Jan
Mar 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM

I agree with all. As a Kilimanjaro man I see this a few times every year. The wife either goes to Zanzibar or on safari for about a week. Sometimes in a different direction so she does not repeat when the husband returns and they go together on another safari.

In my experience the singles are happier in smaller tented camps (Swala, Grumeti, etc.) than lodges. These camps are set up for conversation and meeting like-minded travellers with group dinners etc.

When the pairings don't work out the singles will always dine with the camp manager(s).

Since I travel single a lot, I too prefer the more intimate camps where I blend in easier than the lodges with larger tour groups and families who tend to stick together. IMO the guides too are more welcome in the tented camps.

Do you feel the same way?
Mar 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM

jeff,
You sound like the perfect husband. If I could find a guy who said, "I'm going to climb Kili; why don't you go on safari while I'm climbing?" I'd get married in a heartbeat.

No, I haven't been on safari alone, but having been with a woman friend I wouldn't have any concerns about personal safety. Or boredom.
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Eben,
Iím happier in smaller tented camps because in the lodges there are more people and a greater risk of being paired up with another single traveller or adopted by a middle age couple Ė and in small camps thereís a chance youíll be the only guest and have dinner with the manager.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM

Hi There-
Sorry if this is a dumb question, and sorry to ask a question instead of answering yours, but is your climb technical? Is it camping? I'm just wondering what it is about climbing Kilimanjaro that is unappealing for your wife (or anyone)else. Thanks for explaining and my apologies for asking!
Peterman

Search this Thread