Search

Sharm el Sheikh Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharm el Sheikh Hotels

Travelling to Egypt and trying to decide which hotel to stay at in Sharm for a couple of days? Also is it better to stay in Naam Bay or Soho Square? Any suggestions are appreciated...
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM

I like Naama Bay as it gives you an area with shopping that is walking distance to all the hotels as well as a sea side promenade walkway that leads you to all the hotels and gives you access to ALL the restaurants at all the hotels. You are close to the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch or night time partying and more.

I have not been there in probably 5 years (maybe more) so it's possible that Soho Sq is just as much fun these days as Naama Bay is, so I can't say anything about it.

What I prefer about Naama over the Conrad, the Four Seasons, the Sheraton and other hotels like that is that you are NOT in a "compound" atmosphere. The compound, full service atmosphere, to me, is to restricting. I want the freedom to eat at any hotel, any restaurant I want without having to get in a taxi and make a major excursion out of the trip.

Have fun - wherever you decide to stay. Sharm is fantastic.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

CC, thanks very much for the reply, what hotels would you suggest in Naama?
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM

I always liked the Novotel as it is nice, in a good location and not as expensive as some of the others. Also the Helnan Marina tends to be less expensive than some and it all has nice views too.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM

If cost isn't an issue, I guess the Marriott or the Hilton would be my choice.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM

If cost is not an issue - check out the Hyatt and the Four Seasons!! (My family stayed at the Sofitel, which they liked -- their diving company had an outlet right at the hotel).
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Have stayed at both the Hyatt and the Four Seasons and much preferred the 4S (also had a much better dive shop). Also had dinner at the Intercontinental and that was very nice too.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Both the Hyatt and the FS are compound style hotels. I really like both chains, but in Sharm I like having the freedom to walk from my hotel to one of half a dozen (plus) to use their restaurants and facilities, plus being walking distance to dozens of restaurants, shops and entertainment outside the hotel compound.
It's just my opinion, but I think compound style hotels are great when you are far from civilization, but when you are so close to so much to do, it seems a shame to be "captured" inside the compound - not that you can't leave, but they make is as inconvenient as possible to leave and as convenient as possible to stay and use (read: pay for) all of their facilities.

Both areas and type hotels have their plus's and you just need to decide if you want sun and quiet or sun and lots to do outside the compound.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM

The Mövenpick Jolie Ville in Naama Bay used to be very good. Apparently they now belong to the Maritim Group.