Search

safari to kenya / tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safari to kenya / tanzania

Hello Friends,

This is my first post in here and I am planning for a safari trip to kenya or tanzania this november 09. After reading different websites, it seems november is not a good time to visit either of these countries based on wildlife migration. I am only interested in wildlife safari rather than beach or mountain climbing.

I would appreciate if you could let me know whether it's worth doing the trip in this month.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Cheers;
Shanky
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

The migrating herds can be found in Tanzania's Southern Serengeti or Ndutu area in November. If you can find lodging here, as well as other stops along the way... go for it. There might be some rain in Nov, but shouldn't inhibit safari.

You don't have much time to plan as it is already Nov.

For Tanzania, you'd have to arrive at Kilimanjaro/JRO airport, or if at Nairobi/NBO, Kenya take a shuttle bus (cheapest, but 5+/hrs) for drive to Arusha, or flight to JRO. Have you checked flight schedules/fares/availabiliity?

You'll also need Visa, Yellow Fever inoculation and malaria meds.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi for the quick reply. I have checked airfares to JRo or NBo and they aren't that bad and tickets are readily available.
Can you please let me know how many day safari trip should I plan?

Cheers;
Shanky
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM

November is here! First, do you have the medications covered?

How long? I would not go to Africa for less than 7 nights on the ground on a first trip.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM

As atravelynn indicates - minimum 7/days. Starting from Arusha

Visit Tarangire (1-2)
Ngorongoro (1)
Serengeti or Ndutu (3-4)
Manyara (1)
... back to Arusha and homebound out of JRO or NBO

Assume you're traveling from US, Canada or Europe. If so, and arriving direct at JRO, you WON'T require the Yellow Fever inoc. If arriving at NBO and doing an immediate air transfer you WON'T require YF. If arriving at NBO and doing a road transfer, you WILL require the YF inoc or no entry to Tanzania. YF inoc becomes effective 10/days after the jab.

Good luck
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Atravelynn & Sandi. I already have YF vaccination done (it's more than 10 days after jab). I need to buy some anti-malaria meds. I would look to plan some itinerary based on the suggestions provided.

Currently I am in Australia on holiday and am planning to do this trip from here.

Cheers;
Shanky
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM

Sandi's plan looks good if you have just a week. You could contact Roy's or Good Earth in Tanzania. I personally would arrange it before leaving Australia.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM

I just returned Tuesday from a safari in the Northern circuit in Tanzania. It's a good time to go now as there were many animals to see, the grass was short, the short rains had begun but usually rained after 4PM (except at the top of the crater). But unless you want to break up the drive from Tarangerie to the Serengetti, I woulod skip Nudutu because the lake is totally dry and there were few animals in the area.

My itinerary was as follows: Land JRO, spend one night in Arusha, 2 in Tarangerie, lunch at Gibbs farm, Ngorogoro Crater 2 nights, Nudutu 1 night, Central Serengeti 2 nights, Northern Serengeti (Lobo area) 2 nights then a short flight back to Arusha. We went with Warrior Trails LTD.headquartered in Arusha..(they have a web site)
Our guide was Jackson. All went smoothly and it had a very personal touch. Good luck and have a great time.