where to go Jan-March 2011?

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to go Jan-March 2011?

Hi everyone! I am in the process of planning a trip to East Africa sometime between Jan to March 2011 (haven't picked the exact dates yet). I am definitely planning on going to Tanzania and then looking to add on extension to Zanzibar at the end of the trip. Not including days for international air travel, looking at 10-14 day safari.

Do you think it is possible to also include Kenya in here? Do you recommend going to Kenya at this time of year?

Thanks for your help!

Tara
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM

1 Arusha arrive that eve
1 Day in Arusha
1-2 Lake Manyara
1-2 Crater
3-5 Serengeti--you'd want Southern Serengeti
3+ Zanzibar

10 days minimum in TZ

To go to Kenya, allow 1 travel day between countries, meaning 11 of the 14 days are used up.
That would give you 3 in Kenya's Maasai Mara--4 if you did not spend a day in Arusha National Park.

I'd either spend more time in Tanzania or skip Zanzibar and add Kenya, going to the Maasai Mara for sure, and maybe something else.

"Do you recommend going to Kenya at this time of year?" The Mara is always good.

If TZ is too expensive when you get it planned and costed out, you could consider Kenya instead. It is a little less expensive anytime and this would be the off season for much of Kenya. In Tanzania's Southern Serengeti, where the migration is during the months you are traveling, you are paying top prices.

See this chart for best wildlife vieiwng.
http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Since you mention TZ, this chart has "perfect" safaris for each month of the year in East Africa, focusing on TZ
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/

If it is for this Jan-Mar, check for availability in S. Serengeti, as it is getting late.

Good luck!
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Look at flying into NBO and out of DAR to save some travel time.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM

"....and this would be the off season for much of Kenya"

while not "low" season, rather mid-season rates, still lower than those in Tanzania at "peak-season" prices.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM

It is certainly possible, though I would find such an itinerary to be stressful. Zanzibar is GORGEOUS and a welcome reprieve from the safari road; it is worth sacrificing a few days of exploring the parks for this island. The diving there is phenomenal and very reasonably priced.

I know there are several tour companies that run partnered safaris in Kenya and in Tanzania.

A friend of mine works for one of these companies and is extremely helpful if you are interested. [email protected]