Safari Operators in Northern Tanzania

Dec 27th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Safari Operators in Northern Tanzania

My family (husband, a 14-year old and an 11-year old) and I are traveling to Dar es Salaam to visit friends in June and plan to take a safari in the Northern Circuit of Tanzania for 5 nights beginning June 8th or 9th. If you have had any experience with safari oprators in this area, please advise (good or bad). Thanks for any advice!
Dec 27th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Every other van I saw in Tanzania said Leopard Tours on it.

I was with them also and I was quite happy

Dec 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM

janejean, understand why you want to do the northern park area. We thoroughly enjoyed our two trips there. 2Afrika was our company who works thru Predators Safari Club based in Arusha. Since you will already be at DAR I am wondering if parks in southern Tanzania might interest you? While density of game will probably not equal what you might see in north at same time you will still find excellent opportunity to see variety and quantity plus the advantage of fewer people around. We used Foxes of Africa for trip there. They are based in DAR. Certainly would use them again. In any case, wish you the best in organizing trip.
Dec 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM

I've traveled with Kibo Safaris twice and have been quite happy with their services, guides and properties. They are used by Overseas Adventure Travel, as well.

ShayTay
Dec 27th, 2005, 10:36 AM
bat

janejean:

This link has a discussion of some TZ operators. Also, sandi's company, Africa Serendipity, receives good reviews.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...fari+operators
Dec 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will follow up on these ideas. We really want to do the Northern Circuit.

Jane
Dec 31st, 2005, 12:50 AM

We just came back from a Northern circuit safari with Roy Safaris. I can highly recommend them. We had a very good car and an excellent guide, and the price was competitive.
Dec 31st, 2005, 07:43 AM
bat

tordenmalm:
Glad you had a good trip. When you get a chance would you mind posting a report?
Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Tanznai in early to mid June 2006 and I have considered several tour operators after checking out the wonderful write ups on this board; I am leaning Good Earth Tours, as they have been most competitive in meeting our needs.

I also liked the way they quoted the tour. THey gave me the total cost for a camping safari and then gave the add on price for various tented lodges in the different national parks so it was easier to asses my options and understand how they would affect the bottom line.

I wouild love some feedback from you guys.

Itinerary:

Day 1 Arusha to Lake Manyera ( 2 hrs)); 1 night at
Kirurumu
Day 2 Lake Manyera to western Serenget (central 2 hours; western 4 hrs)i; 1 night at Ikoma
Day 3 & 4 western Serengeti; 2 nights at Kirawira
Day 5 western Serengeti to Ngorongoro (4 hrs); 1 night at Ngorongoro Serena;
Day 6 Ngorongoro to Arusha (3 hrs); visit friends in Dar

They do not recomend Tarangire Nationl Park in June. What are your thoughts on missing this park?

I don't like ending the safari with a stay at Serena, (we wanted to avoid the large chains and much prefer the tented lodges) but from my reading it seems to make the most sense to saty close to the crater for early morning access.

Also, since our safari is short, this gives us more time in the serengeti.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Jane

Search this Thread