Reload this Page >

Urgent - Please Recommend a Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
curlieel

I am an American female going to Africa tomorrow (yikes!) and will be spending 24 days there with another American female. We will be in Tanzania and really want to do a safari in the 5-10 day range, preferably in Northern Tanzania (although if we could at least see Kilimanjaro, that would be great). Slight preference for lodging, but we're not too picky. I am a vegetarian which I am a little concerned about. We have no idea which company to go with - please give us your advice a.s.a.p.!!

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband and I went with CC Africa last year in Kenya and Tanzania and have nothing but good things to say about them. I would HIGHLY recommend them.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM

Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Nevertheless, somtimes an opportunity comes along and offers a wonderful chance to have a fantastic experience. I think you can turn this into a fantastic opportunity. I would contact one of the several larger ground handlers in Tanzania that are affiliated with lodges or run their own camps. One such operator is Kibo guides, a very well known and reliable company. We have used them and they are in fact often used by the OAT tour groups, although that in itself doesn't mean all that much. They are reliable and have a good staff of professional guides. More important is that they have access to accomodations as well as cars and guides. Another alernative is to contact one of the U.S. based tour companies that specialize in Africa. I have had very good luck with African Portfolio (aka-OnSafari.com). They are located in Conn. and have good relationships with Tanzania operators. Sometimes last minute trips turn out to be the best. Go for it.
Regards-Chuck
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:50 AM

Correction, should be www.OnSafari.com.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:06 AM

I second the recommendation for Kibo and have traveled with them 3 times. It may be too late to contact them now, though, because of the time differences. My contact is Josiah (josiah AT kiboguides DOT com.) The main issue will be if any space is available at the camps or lodges. If you are going to be in Arusha, you could check with the various safari outfitters there and see if they have space in a group that's already scheduled, or if the camps and lodges have had cancellations. You might look at the East Africa Report Index that is in one of the threads. I think you could probably do a search for it and find it. In it, you'll find reports and the safari outfitters that Fodorites have used. One of the larger outfits is Roy's.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM

After much research we choose Good Earth Tours; they are an Arusha company with an office in Florida. They get good reviews here and they are easy to work with since they have an office in Florida. They have group tours but for $150 pp for the trip they can provide you private safari rather then a group tour.

When are you going to be in Tanzania?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

WOW. That is last minute I too would advise using Good Earth Tours. They have an office in the US and one in Arusha. I have met people from both of these offices and they are all top notch. They don't have their own camps, which actually might be nice as they don't steer you to their camps. Leaves it wide open.

We had a fabulous time.

ejoy whoever you pick!
Duane
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
curlieel

Does anyone know Tropical Trails?

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM

When you get to Arusha, I'd contact Sunny Safaris or Base Camp Tanzania or one of the other Arusha based operators recommended above like Good Earth or Kibo. You'll encounter &quot;flycatchers&quot; in Arusha who may try to get you to sign on to a safari by saying that they already have a group going and just need one or two more participants - be <b>highly skeptical</b> of their claims and go with one of the reputable operators mentioned here.

You may also want to peruse the Lonely Planet Thorntree forum if you haven't already to see if anyone else is going to be in Tanzania at the same time and is looking to share a safari.

Good luck!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM

Here are two past trip reports that used Tropical Trails:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34828984

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34765002

I'd say they're fine too.