Need help planning African Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am trying to plan an african safari and seem to be getting nowhere. I have tons of questions so here goes. Can anyone suggest the best time to go. I love the BIG CATs and that is my focus. Also would like to see elephants, giraffes and any other animals along the way. I'm leaning towards Tanzania ( Sarengeti ) and would like to find a tour that spends 3-4 days there. What tour group do you recommend??? I want an all inclusive (airfare can be separate). Do any of the tours do small groups of 6-10? Is private better for 2 people? Looking forward to your responses
Thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Why are you looking for a tour, is it more for budget reasons or you like meeting other people? you can book a tour for 2 people that suits your specific interests and budget. East Africa and South Africa would work well, depends on what else you might like to see or do?
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 10:23 AM

I'm just a traveler like you, but have been to Tanzania twice at what I would say are the two most common "best" times to go, February and July. Some people go in August. The migration is in the grass plains (south) and there are babies in February. In July/August the migration is in the north and you could potentially see a river crossing. Lots of cats both times, although no leopard on one trip.

Both of my trips were private vehicle safaris for two persons one time and four the other. In each case, the pricing was comparable to group tours, and we had the benefit of a guide to ourselves and our wishes catered to. I believe the majority of of Tanzania safaris are of this type (there's sort of a standard northern tour), rather than fly in safaris which are more common in Kenya and Botswana. I have also been on safari in Botswana and South Africa. All are good, but I think the plains and herds of Tanzania are more akin to what most people picture for safari. Elephants are not as ubiquitous in parts of Tanzania as in Botswana and elsewhere, but we saw plenty on both trips, especially the July trip to Tarangire.

I suggest you reach out to a handful of Tanzania operators with your general questions and desires. I used Africa Dream Safaris in California both times, but also got very good proposals from Access2 Tanzania and The Africa Adventure Co. even though I didn't travel with them. If you are in the US, I'd start with these companies. There are other companies that specialize in Tanzania.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 04:35 AM

We will be leaving shortly for our 2nd safari in Tanzania traveling the Northern Circuit route. Five years ago we went at the same time of the year. You mentioned elephants and giraffes - go to Tarangire National Park. Lions - go to the Central Serengeti. Of course you will see more wildlife - (hippos, zebra, wildebeest, wart hogs, - the list goes on and on) than you ever imagined you would see and be in a state of amazement as you travel from place to place. The Ngorongoro Crater is beautiful - it is where we were fortunate to see black rhino. We booked our safaris with a tour operator out of Arusha - basecamptanzania.com The owner is extremely knowledgeable and to be trusted. He is one of the experts on the tripadvisor.com Tanzania forum. Go on that forum. It is a wealth of information. Without it I could not have booked our first safari by myself. you will get to "know" those who post often and can learn much from their experience. If you see a poster whose handle is "noexpert" you can be assured he is an expert. We have traveled to several places, but Tanzania is the only place we knew we had to return.