Search

Robben Island Tour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robben Island Tour

Do these tours book up fast? As I am going in early December shall I try to purchase tickets online before I go? Any idea on how to do this?

Kevin

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Goodness, it hadn't even occured to me that I might need to book in advance. Am also interested in the responses.

Likewise for other attractions - is there anything else I may want to visit (in South Africa) that I should book in advance?
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:09 PM

I've been twice to Robben Island, once in May and the second time in August, and while the trips were full, there are many during the course of each day and I never had a problem getting a ticket for the day I preferred, although I didn't always get my preferred time. If you'll be in Cape Town for a few days, you can get your ticket early in your stay.

But, if you know what day you'll want to visit, what's the downside to pre-booking?

Its a very interesting trip and I'd recommend going early in the day so you can spend some extra time on the island.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Thanks Michael...
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Is there a webiste where we can pre-book? I can't find one anywhere.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Yes there is a website. I booked via email for my trip there last November. The website is www.robben-island.org.za -- follow the link on the left of the home page for ticket sales. This will take you to the email address.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:13 AM

I would not book more than a few days in advance. If it is windy or the weather is bad it can be a miserable trip out to the island. Watch the weather forecast.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 09:24 PM

And even if it's sunny in Cape Town, it doesn't hurt to bring a jacket because the ride is windy.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:37 AM

Personally I DO NOT recommend that my visitors travel to Robben Island UNLESS they have an extra day in their schedule to do so. One of the main reasons for me saying this is because the journey to Robben Island will take close on to half a day out of your schedule and to be quite honest when visitors are on a tight schedule this becomes a heck of a lot to sacrifice only because they will miss out on so many other events in the city. I have to stress that this is a personal opinion that I hold.

There are a couple of inaccuracies in the responses to the original Fodors mail that I have to rectify.

________

"Is a very interesting trip and I'd recommend going early in the day so you can spend some extra time on the island."

NOT TRUE. It does not matter what trip you take to the island they are all the same length of time and one has no control over where you go or how much time you have on the island. You go where you are taken and nowhere else. The system is a VERY RIGID one.
_________

_________

"I would not book more than a few days in advance. If it is windy or the weather is bad it can be a miserable trip out to the island. Watch the weather forecast."

I dont agree. Even though I advise that visitors not to go to Robben Island it is a well frequented event overall. If you do not book well in advance (especially in the season) you will NOT get onto a boat to take you over. There is absolutely no harm in booking as your moneys would be refunded fully or you will have a first option to any future trips if the ride is cancelled due to bad weather. One thing is for sure and that is if you are not booked at least a day in advance the chances of you getting on board to Robben Island are rather slim. During the season I would say that if you are not booked 3 days in advance you wont get onto a ride. The advice to watch the weather forecast is a good one however it cant be depended on so my advice is that if you are wanting to travel to the Island then book at least 3 days in advance.

I agree fully with Clematis's recommendation of be prepared clothes wise as it can become chilly on the boat.

Booking through the net via the website passed on by Akescape is the best way to go however if you want to book per phone when you are in Cape Town you can phone 4191300 and do so by credit card.

A last tip. If you are prone to sea sickness and the weather is bad DO NOT do the trip as you will be a misery all the way to the island as well as coming back.

Hope the above all helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa