Just returned! SA and Botswana

Oct 28th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Just returned! SA and Botswana

I just got back from an amazing 2 week honeymoon and would like to make a few recommendations. We stayed at the Atlanticview in Camps Bay, Cape Town for 5 nights and I highly recommend this guest house. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the service is great. It's away from the hustle and bustle of the city and has great views. I can't say enough. A car is pretty much necessary, but that's the only word of caution. Go to www.atlanticviewcapetown.com. For the next few days we drove through Franschoek, Stellenbosch, Hermanus, Swellendam, The Garden Route and Jeffrey's Bay. I would also like to recommend the Lazee Bay B+B in J Bay. It's a mid-range place run by a really nice young couple. The room are comfortable and the views from those on the top floor are amazing. It's simply a nice, relaxed place with a great vibe...really close to Supertubes too.

Finally, our safari in Botswana was SUPERB. I cannot say enough about Wilderness Safaris. We stayed in the Okavango Delta...2 nights at Little Vurumba and 2 nights at Mombo. Everything from start to finish was fantastic. The guides, the drives, the boat trips at LV, the camps, the staff....all first class.

Thanks to all that post on this board. The advice I got was great, and I'd like to return the favor.

-Karen
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I meant Little Vumbura (typo)
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Thanks for posting!! Sounds like you had an amazing time. Congratulations on your honeymoon... Botswana is high on my list of destinations after our Kenya trip was such a hit.. I am so glad you had such a great time. Thanks for posting.
Oct 28th, 2003, 06:45 PM

How was the game viewing in Botswana? I'd like to visit in early June, but read on earlier posts that the game viewing was poor. I would be very interested to hear your impressions of the wildlife. Thank you in advance!
Oct 28th, 2003, 09:33 PM
DJE

girlpolo,

I was in Botswana in July in three camps and can report that our experience with wildlife was very good. I stayed at Chobe Chilwero, Mombo and Kings Pool and saw a good variety of animals including the Big 5 and so much more.

This may also have been because we spent 5 days each in two of the camps and 3 days at the other so were able to go on a number of game drives at each location as well as having time to spend around camp and enjoy those surroundings. All in all it was a wonderful time with good staff, food, service, etc. at each place.
Oct 29th, 2003, 12:36 AM

Kespeer, congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon. Sounds just great! Can you tell us more about what you thought of Mombo? When I was there in 2001 the guiding in particular was excellent and game viewing superb. More recent visitors have been less impressed with the guides (and I know the one we had has left) and service in general. I'd be interested in any detail you can provide on your experiences at Mombo.

I'd also be interested in hearing more about Kings Pool and Little Vumbura, not that they are on the 2004 itinerary but I adored LV when we went and am curious about Kings Pool which hasn't made it onto my itinerary but looks great.

Girlpolo, when we did our safari in 2001 we went in June and our game viewing was quite amazing. We're sticking with that same time of year for our 2004 trip.
Oct 29th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

This was my first safari, so I have nothing with which to compare, but I think the game was great....especially at Mombo. At LV we had 2 game drives and 2 water "drives" (mukuro and motor boat). The game drives weren't great for us as far as amount of animals (we kept missing the cats!), but the boat drives were great. We thought it might be a little boring, but there's so much life and amazing scenery to take in on the water. We came upon an elephant bathing and some hippos swimming. THAT was exciting. We had 2 hippos outside our tent at LV one morning too. The staff at LV was great.

Mombo was amazing. We were greeted by about 20 elephants right near our tent when we got there. One was a 3 month old baby! We saw lots of game over 4 drives, the best of which was a pride of lions stalking, killing and eating a cape buffalo....something I will never forget. We also saw 3 leopards and many other beasts. Though we missed rhinos on the wild, we did get to see the first black rhinos to be introduced at Moremi as they were released from their shipping crates into holding pens. Our guide Brooks was the BEST. Very personable, knowledgable and fun. I definitely recommend Mombo for a splurge. The staff were tops. They even surprised us with a private dinner at our tent the last night. Every detail was attended to with care.
-Karen
Oct 29th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Thanks Karen
Your experience of LV matches ours - game drives, especially after Little Mombo, were disappointing and we only did one before concentrating fully on water activities. These were great. We adored the mekoro trips and the trips on the flat powerboat were very enjoyable too. A truly intimate camp.

At Little Mombo we also had great game viewing and spent lots of time with leopard, cheetah, lions, eles and the standard giraffes, zebras etc as well as many birds. Rhino had not yet been reintroduced so there were none to see for us.

My excitement about my return to Mombo next year is renewed afresh!

Thank you!
Oct 29th, 2003, 09:22 PM

I had been told Brooks was great. Kespeer, your honeymoon sounds wonderful - was it Little Mombo (3 rooms) or the main camp (9 rooms)? Who was your camp manager? And did you hear if the wild dogs still gone?
Oct 30th, 2003, 09:05 AM

kespeer

your trip sounds fantastic! I am actually going on my honeymoon to capetown and bostwana in 3 weeks! One ofthe places we are staying at is little vumbura. I was very excited to hear that your stay went so well! A couple of additional questions, was it hot there? what did you do for your afternoon time off? how were the mosquitos? How strict were they on the luggage weight limitations and did you use duffel bags or something else? THANKS!!
Oct 30th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I stayed at big Mombo in the "honeymoon" tent...exactly the same as others but a longer walk away (towards Little Mombo) with more privacy. Our manager was a SA bloke whose name escapes me. We didn't see any wild dogs but we heard that they had been in the area recently.
for Novsafari -
It was hot but not bad. Mornings and evenings were cool and beautiful. The mozzies were fine. I think I got 2 bites total and I hardly remember seeing any at all. The afternoons are for pure relaxation. Reading and napping were favorite activities. LV has a nice little plunge pool for cooling off too. As far as luggage, we took a medium-sized duffel bag for the two of us and some camera equipment. I don't know how much they weighed, but there were no complaints from the flight crew. Don't bother bringing too much stuff. Laundry can be done and no one dressed up as far as I could tell. ENJOY!! I am so jealous. Say HI to Debs and Kath at LV for me.

Search this Thread