Restaurants in and near Cairo Marriott

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying at the Cairo Marriott in January. With full days of sight-seeing (especially the first day after arrival from the US) and lunches out, we hope to eat in or within walking distance of the hotel. We'd appreciate any recommendations or experiences,
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM

We stayed at this great hotel last April and I reviewed a restaurant right across the street on another forum. Here is my review and a link to the restaurants website: http://maximrestaurants.com/khulkhal.html:
This restaurant was one of our favorite finds in Cairo. The atmosphere is simply fabulous! It's very modern, chic, trendy, but comfortable. Colorful, with glass all around to enjoy the lights of Cairo on the Nile. The food was delicious, the best we had in Egypt. Especially the warm stuffed vine leaves. The prices are very, very reasonable. And they serve alcohol! Wine and beer. We went there several times with people from our tour group and everyone agreed it was great. The music is a wonderful mix of Western and Arabic contemporary with lots of rhythm but not too loud. The people are mostly young, but not all. We saw a mix of women with headscarfs as well as women wearing mini-skirts and tank tops. Very fashionable! It's a popular place for young Cairoites to celebrate birthdays and other things. We didn't need a reservation, but it might be a good idea to call just to make sure they aren't closed for a function. You can also smoke a hookah there. The combination of good food, great atmosphere, great prices and great location make me envious as in Sydney we'd pay a small fortune for anything similar, if one existed. It's right outside the Cairo Marriott Hotel. Just go out the main entrance, down the driveway to the right, carefully cross the street, down the stairs to the left which go down to the water, and over the pontoon walkway.Enjoy! Just a note on the food at the hotel. The buffet breakfast was always good, but nothing else we had seemed to be worth the money, but we only ate at the outdoor restaurant with all the umbrellas and that is a lovely place to sit and just people watch!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:31 PM

We stayed at this hotel in September - great time - loved the Italian restaurant. Tip -- go left out the front gates and there is a Mobile Gas Station 2.5 blocks up - great place to buy cheap water and snacks. Across the stree is a place called "Dunkies" great if you need to pick up additional alcohol.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM

Forgot to mention - try to get in "Omar's" section at the Italian restaurant -- he is a great waiter and makes dining a truly fun experience.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tinydancer and beachnut. From everything we've read (and in light of a full Cairo schedule) we'll stay close to the Marriot in Cairo. We expect to get out and around in Aswan and Luxor, so without starting another string, any experiences there. (We're at the Movenpick in Aswan and the Nile Palace in Luxor).
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM

We found ourselves staying in as well - not really much to see around the hotel - we did walk the blocks to the Mobile station as water/drinks can be expensive at the hotel. The hotel itself is great and we were quite happy staying in. The Cario tour days were long! Sorry cannot give you any advise on your other hotel choices.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM

We stayed at the Nile Palace in Luxor - ate in two decent (not fancy nor expensive) restaurants and one wretched pub (raw chicken-wretched)off-site. The restaurant at the hotel pool is quite good, and they serve at the pool. I'll look at my notes for names and locations over the weekend.

The decent restaurant is about a block from the hotel and is called "Dean's" - it's owned by a British man who lives in Luxor. Eclectic menu - hamburgers, chicken, fish, curry. The green curry was outstanding, everything else quite good, especially for the very moderate price. Just a neighborhood restaurant -- nothing fancy at all.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM

On the water from the hotel, which costs a small fortune, I just filled the kettle with tap water, boiled it, then boiled it again before going to bed, and in the morning it was cooled down and I re-filled our empty water bottles for the day. We never got sick from doing this.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Abu El Sid or La Bodega or the pork/Pizza joint on the corner after La Bodega, but before you turn down the street to Abu El Sid are all fine choices near the Marriott.

Also there are at least 4 good boats to choose a restaurant on going downt the street south of the Marriott. There is Pasha 1901, Saraya (which would be my last choice), Nile City or the Blue Nile boats. They all have about 5-7 restaurants on them to choose from.

Bon Appetite
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Anyone have any eating suggestions near the Hotel Longchamps in Cairo?
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM

The Longchamps has Peking next door to it if you like Chinese Food. There is another down the street the other direction called Four Bells (I think) which is OK...not spectacular, but fine. Out on the Cornishe a ways is another that probably the Longchamps will tell you about - it's on the north tip of the island, the name starts with an S, and it's mostly about atmosphere, but I would guess the chicken is really good. There is another one that is called Al Dente that used to be pretty good. It was a place you picked your pasta and sauce from the menu so you could mix and match what ever you like. You aren't that far from Abu El Sid, La Bodega or any of the others that are close to the Marriott though either.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks Deb for your replies-I cannot thank you enough for the suggestion to stay at the Longchamps.Our family is thrilled to have gotten in there for our stay in Cairo.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Tell Heba I said HI. She and I are due to get together soon, but if you seen her before I do, say HI to her for me.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 10:06 AM

When we were in Cairo we ate at Abu El Sid and had a good time there. It is a short walk from the Marriott although there is not much of a sign on the door - we walked right past it the first time down the block. Another night we enjoyed our meal at Pasha 1901, on one of the boats.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM

We just got back from Cairo and stayed at the Marriott. Breakfast buffet at Omar's is unbelievable (don't forget to get a pretzel for the road). Abu El Sid was excellent and the decor exotic. The pub at the hotel was reasonably priced. And, if you need wine or beer take a left as you leave the front of the hotel, go to the corner and make another left; go straight for a block, cross the street and go under the overpass and you will find "Drinkies" not Dunkie. Look to the left of Drinkies and you will see a Pizzaria that offers a nice selection of food reasonably priced. The meat lasagna melted in the mouth - sorry no charges accepted.